Author Topic: JG Sales has Slovakian Grand Powers on Sale for $300 and $350  (Read 6304 times)

Offline RSR

JG Sales has Slovakian Grand Powers on Sale for $300 and $350
« on: February 16, 2015, 09:10:28 PM »
Shared elsewhere, but wanted to here too as probably most appropriate.

The only other Century import product I have is a Grand Power P1 9mm, made in Slovakia, and I have no complaints.  This is one heck of a nice pistol for the money.

Crazy deals on Grand Powers at JG Sales -- $299 for the full size and $349 for the compact (same price as those turkish CZ clones).  $20 mags available as well.  I just got 4 mags and the full size for (one mag w/ the full size) for ~$410 w/ 30 of that being shipping...  (Mags and gun go separately.)   Have been keeping an eye on them and elsewhere everyone w/ them in stock have been asking more than $400 for the pistol alone.  (And take a look at who all makes the various components below as well... Kind of a who's who.)

Here's the link: https://www.jgsales.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=grand+power

A pretty ingenious pistol design in my opinion -- and just released on US Markets by Century (Slovakian built, Century imported) in ~September of this year. 

Personally, I'm much more interested in this K100 than Arsenal's Strike One: http://www.arsenalfirearms.com/products/strike-pistol-system

K100 -- http://www.practicalhandgun.com/the-slovakian-grand-power-k100-9mm-service-pistol.html
The slide is manufactured from chrome-nickel molybdenum steel by Belgian supplier Fabrique Nationale Herstal. The 108mm long barrel is made of 51CrV4 steel manufactured by CZ-UB according to Grand Power?s requirements. The magazines are made inItalyby Mec-Gar, who now manufactures magazines for various firearm companies? pistols.
And there are supposed to be decocker kits coming to the US soon too -- currently, just has a safety (guessing a safety and decocker combo)...

Good review of K100: http://tacticalgunreview.com/staff-review-grand-power-duo-the-k100-mk7-and-the-p1-mk7/

http://www.classicfirearms.com/hgnp1mk7-1 (can find these around $400, just linking here for the torture test description)
Used by the Slovakia military = where there is no shortage of quality locally made sidearms from the former Czechoslovakia - Grand Power pistols were put through, and passed with flying colors, incredible torture tests that other internationally famous brands failed miserably. Such as 100,000 rounds without any changes in critical dimensions. 20,000 consecutive rounds without any feeding failures. And a silicone dust, wind chamber test (think desert sandstorm) that ground the competition to a halt - literally. Attractive, tough, comfortable to use and light weight to carry, Grand Power makes a pistol that you will be proud to own for years to come. Whether it's the full size K100 Mk7, or the compact P1 MK7,Grand Power makes a pistol that's just right for you!

« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 09:18:45 PM by RSR »

Offline AZ_CZ

Re: JG Sales has Slovakian Grand Powers on Sale for $300 and $350
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 09:21:55 PM »
Yeah I got their email this afternoon and now I'm wondering if I should brave the gun show downtown this weekend and pick one up. Decisions, decisions
CZ Fanbot since 1996

Offline gcw16

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 07:39:50 PM »
RSR,
 Have you gotten a tracking number or heard anything from J&G since you placed the order? I went ahead and ordered a K100 today and since I have not ordered from them before I was wondering what to expect.

Offline gcw16

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 08:13:06 PM »
I picked up my K100 from my dealer today. That was very fast shipping. I found out that there was a recall on these in late 2013 and mine is in the recall serial range (1K-006xx). I am going to email Century and see what is going on

Offline henehcuhp

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 03:33:27 PM »
99% chance your recall is already done. Easy to figure out: if the barrel is blank (no serial visible inside the ejection port), it's been changed out. The guns leave the factory with serial'd barrels; the replacement barrels had no such markings.

Actually, I just remembered...I have an example pic I took a little while ago:

If you have a mk7, it should look like the P1. Mk12's, and non-recalled mk7's (if there were any) will have the engraving like the X-Cal on the bottom.

If these are still in stock, BUY THEM, people. The mk12 K100 is worth every penny at the ~$500 price Bud's has on them. For a $200 price drop, all you lose is the new takedown system (the old one works just fine). $300 is a STEAL.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 03:36:03 PM by henehcuhp »

Offline gcw16

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 09:37:16 PM »
Yes, I noticed that the barrel was blank. I then started looking at pictures of other GP guns on the net and saw that they had serialized barrels. That made me think that I had a replacement barrel. I hope to get out and shoot it soon!

Offline fireguy07

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 11:50:27 AM »
The reason Grand Powers are so cheap is they are trying to clear the market of the Mark 7's and older guns. The Mark 12's with the Glock style takedown levers is what they want on the market. The old Mark 7's are weak around the front of the weapon where the trigger guard pulls loose to take the gun apart. It is still a fine weapon and I own a P1 Mark7. Shoots good and has about the best reset on the market. These are not deals.l Grand Power is trying to liquidate the market of these guns.

Offline henehcuhp

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 04:53:45 PM »
The whole 'weak around the trigger guard' thing is a crock, IMHO. I had never heard such a thing until some mk12 reviews started perpetuating the rumor of that corrected 'weakness.'

There is no real stress on that portion of the frame, and it is still built stouter than some other much more popular poly guns that do NOT have a dedicated internal receiver for the slide to ride on. The shock of recoil is on the trigger guard itself, or more specifically, the 'buffer' portion that is pulled down for disassembly. I have had my P1 apart tons of time and put a couple thousand rounds through it, and the takedown still engages just as firmly as the day I bought it.

While that limited anecdotal experience is not enough to convince any reasonable person, I think the amount of mk6's and mk7's that saw competition use with a LOT more rounds through them are a pretty good testament. I never heard any complaints from GP6 users about their frames or trigger guards having problems.

Oh yeah, and there's also the fantastic amount of testing that GP seems to do with their guns. 100,000 rounds through a prototype (i.e. probably less refined than the mk6) without failure? Seems pretty convincing. Select-fire models? Doesn't seem to have made any frames explode. I also like their test (it's on Youtube) where they do over 1000 rounds of +P+ without stopping for longer than it takes to swap pre-loaded mags.

I'm confident enough that my P1 sits at the ready as my go-to HD gun. And don't get me wrong, I'm not attacking anyone in particular, I just think that it's really wrong to represent these guns as being cheap because they're inferior. I'd put one up against a Glock or some other widely-perceived 'unkillable' pistol in a stress test any day of the week.

Offline Canuck223

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 06:14:02 PM »
The reason Grand Powers are so cheap is they are trying to clear the market of the Mark 7's and older guns. The Mark 12's with the Glock style takedown levers is what they want on the market. The old Mark 7's are weak around the front of the weapon where the trigger guard pulls loose to take the gun apart. It is still a fine weapon and I own a P1 Mark7. Shoots good and has about the best reset on the market. These are not deals.l Grand Power is trying to liquidate the market of these guns.

Grand Power has nothing to do with this sale pricing. It's simply our former importer clearing out the older stock now that the Mk12's are shipping.

As for the Mk7 and issues with the take down system. they generally boiled down to two versions of the same issue.

1) The user overstresses the trigger guard during disassembly and cracks the trigger guard or worse, the grip.
2) The user fails to fully return the trigger guard home, and the slide impacts it, damaging the grip in the process.

Most folks will never have a problem with a Mk7. Frankly at the price, buy all you can. They are great guns and if it gets your feet wet with the brand, even better.

Right now I have five Mk7's in my collection and two Mk12's.

Offline Canuck223

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 06:31:42 PM »
Shared elsewhere, but wanted to here too as probably most appropriate.

K100 -- http://www.practicalhandgun.com/the-slovakian-grand-power-k100-9mm-service-pistol.html
The slide is manufactured from chrome-nickel molybdenum steel by Belgian supplier Fabrique Nationale Herstal. The 108mm long barrel is made of 51CrV4 steel manufactured by CZ-UB according to Grand Power?s requirements. The magazines are made inItalyby Mec-Gar, who now manufactures magazines for various firearm companies? pistols.
And there are supposed to be decocker kits coming to the US soon too -- currently, just has a safety (guessing a safety and decocker combo)...

[/quote]

A few comments.

The information about the slides and barrels has not been true since 2008 or so. Our first slides were made from investment castings supplied as described above. Since 2008, all slides have been machined from billet. Our barrel blanks were sourced from CZ until 2013, but we have been machining those blanks into finished barrels in house for years.

Decocker equipped guns will be a factory option, not a kit.

Offline gcw16

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2015, 09:25:06 PM »
Canuck223, is there any update on the P40 10mm approval process?

Offline Canuck223

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2015, 10:51:47 AM »
Canuck223, is there any update on the P40 10mm approval process?
[/quote

RSA will be applying for import licences for them next week, so with luck they should be available summer or fall. 

We have three new models coming out at IWA next week, so there will be a fair bit of paperwork heading in shortly.

Offline Litomysl94

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2015, 03:12:16 PM »
Any plans for any of the .380 ACP pistols listed on Grand Power's website to be sold here in the U.S.?  If so, is there any information about pricing & availability?

Offline Canuck223

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2015, 11:01:12 PM »
Any plans for any of the .380 ACP pistols listed on Grand Power's website to be sold here in the U.S.?  If so, is there any information about pricing & availability?

They are being submitted to ATF for approval. We shall see if the market wants them. They will be priced about the same as the 9mm versions.

That's not a lack of confidence in the .380 models we make. It's just that we sell every one of those platform sizes in a rotary barrel 9mm version that kicks as soft as most .380's. If there is a demand, we will be happy to fill it!