Author Topic: P-10C Heavy Mag Release Fix - Updated with Glock spring  (Read 41142 times)

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
Re: P-10C Heavy Mag Release Fix - Updated with Glock spring
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2017, 12:32:44 AM »
I don't know, sorry, anyone else chime in?
I tried what Bobcat tried and he was right - going one round down really made the difference in ejecting a full magazine. What even funnier is how the empty mag ejects with force, and the full mag just kind of ambles on down the well.

Offline earlan357

« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2017, 04:50:39 PM »
Maybe dumb question here:

I was polishing the mag release today as described in the video above.

After reassembly, I noticed the spring just in front of the magazine catch was bent back.  I think I may have done that inadvertently, as the spring shown in the video looks straight and tight.

To confirm, the spring in front of the mag catch sits in a hole just in front of the mag well.  Does the top of that spring rest against the underside of the front lip of the magazine catch?  There is also a black plastic piece from the trigger assembly that sits above the same hole and behaves as if it a part of the trigger return.  Cannot tell in the video.

Any guidance would be appreciated, as I think I'm going to have to replace that spring...

THX!

That spring should be straight.  The entire spring should be under the mag catch lip.  I think the plastic piece you're referring to is the rear of the trigger safety.  If a coil of the mag return spring is above the lip, it can catch on the trigger safety and prevent the trigger from resetting.

Offline WilburWildcat

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2017, 05:07:16 PM »
OK. As I feared.
That spring must have been proud when I reassembled and Ive messed it up.
Will be fun to order, as CZ-USA doesn't even have P-10 parts lists posted yet.  Bet they'll tell me all parts are still going into production....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CGW P-07
P-10C Optic Ready

Offline Bossgobbler

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2017, 09:09:37 PM »
If you need a spring,  take your spring and seal it in a plastic bag then take it to a locksmith shop and they should be able to fix you up. looks like a detent spring for an ignition cylinder will work.

Offline parcview

« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2017, 01:26:57 PM »
So I noticed that the P-10C mag release button is pretty hard to activate without adjusting your grip.  It's quite rough feeling when pressed too.  I studied the parts and found where I could smooth it out.

The catch itself is already pretty smooth.  Still, I polished the circled area with a dremel, a felt wheel, and some Mother's Mag & Aluminum Polish.

On the release button, the upper sections of the "V" slides along the bottom of the mag catch as it's pressed.  Mine had a very rough edge on both sides.

The "V" is 90 degrees, so I used a Brownells X-Fine Ceramic stone to clean up the edges.  I slide the release button back and forth a dozen or so times.

Below you can see the spots that got smoothed by the ceramic stone.

Now the release is smooth and much easier to activate.  I can release the mag without shifting my thumb now.

---Update--

So I was talking back and forth with rich63 and I decided to see if I had any other springs that could lighten up the mag release button. 

Left: P-10C mag release spring    Right: Glock 19 factory firing pin safety spring

The Glock spring fits perfectly and really drops the mag release button effort, similar to my M&P .22.  It feels good with an empty mag but it's almost too light with no mag or the mag loaded and the slide locked back.  Without the follower pushing against the slide release, there's no extra resistance from the mag and I'm afraid I might accidentally release it while shooting or completing a reload.  I'm going to leave it in though and see what happens at my pistol class this weekend.

Update:

Well the Glock spring made the button easier to press.  Too easy.  Twice I accidentally pressed it with my support hand palm while shooting during the class.  Admittedly, it was during 10 shot rapid fire strings where I got lazy with my grip.  Probably fine for competition only, but I put the factory spring back in during a lunch break and didn't have any issues since.

I too was having a problem with the mag release on my P10C. I followed all the recommendations regard polishing various surfaces. This did improve the mag drop when the mag was empty, but didn't cure the problem when doing a tactical reload when the magazine still has rounds in it. I looked at what was happening to the mag when I was pressing hard on the release. I noticed the mag was being pushed up into the mag well before it finally dropped free after considerable pressure on the release. Then I looked at the shape of the piece that engages in the slot in the mag. It was clear from the shape of this piece that as the release is pressed and it rotates back and out of the mag latch slot, it pushes the mag up forcing the round in the mag to press up on the under side of the slide and thus compress the mag spring, thereby increasing the resistance to the mag release. I decided to re-profile the protrusion. If you refer to the rough sketch I have attached you can see what I did. The angles are exaggerated to illustrate the issue. For those of you that have never had this problem I can only assume that the tolerances in this piece are such that the problem only occurs when the angle is too steep.

Offline GLN305

« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2017, 08:17:49 PM »
So I noticed that the P-10C mag release button is pretty hard to activate without adjusting your grip.  It's quite rough feeling when pressed too.  I studied the parts and found where I could smooth it out.

The catch itself is already pretty smooth.  Still, I polished the circled area with a dremel, a felt wheel, and some Mother's Mag & Aluminum Polish.

On the release button, the upper sections of the "V" slides along the bottom of the mag catch as it's pressed.  Mine had a very rough edge on both sides.

The "V" is 90 degrees, so I used a Brownells X-Fine Ceramic stone to clean up the edges.  I slide the release button back and forth a dozen or so times.

Below you can see the spots that got smoothed by the ceramic stone.

Now the release is smooth and much easier to activate.  I can release the mag without shifting my thumb now.

---Update--

So I was talking back and forth with rich63 and I decided to see if I had any other springs that could lighten up the mag release button. 

Left: P-10C mag release spring    Right: Glock 19 factory firing pin safety spring

The Glock spring fits perfectly and really drops the mag release button effort, similar to my M&P .22.  It feels good with an empty mag but it's almost too light with no mag or the mag loaded and the slide locked back.  Without the follower pushing against the slide release, there's no extra resistance from the mag and I'm afraid I might accidentally release it while shooting or completing a reload.  I'm going to leave it in though and see what happens at my pistol class this weekend.

Update:

Well the Glock spring made the button easier to press.  Too easy.  Twice I accidentally pressed it with my support hand palm while shooting during the class.  Admittedly, it was during 10 shot rapid fire strings where I got lazy with my grip.  Probably fine for competition only, but I put the factory spring back in during a lunch break and didn't have any issues since.

I too was having a problem with the mag release on my P10C. I followed all the recommendations regard polishing various surfaces. This did improve the mag drop when the mag was empty, but didn't cure the problem when doing a tactical reload when the magazine still has rounds in it. I looked at what was happening to the mag when I was pressing hard on the release. I noticed the mag was being pushed up into the mag well before it finally dropped free after considerable pressure on the release. Then I looked at the shape of the piece that engages in the slot in the mag. It was clear from the shape of this piece that as the release is pressed and it rotates back and out of the mag latch slot, it pushes the mag up forcing the round in the mag to press up on the under side of the slide and thus compress the mag spring, thereby increasing the resistance to the mag release. I decided to re-profile the protrusion. If you refer to the rough sketch I have attached you can see what I did. The angles are exaggerated to illustrate the issue. For those of you that have never had this problem I can only assume that the tolerances in this piece are such that the problem only occurs when the angle is too steep.

I recently picked up a P10C with the mag release issue and tried all the polishing and stoning before finding this particular thread. I also noticed that my mag would move up slightly as I depressed the mag release and now, after leveling the top end of the mag catch, my mag release now works very smoothly. Just an FYI that this did indeed work for my particular findings.

Offline jwo483

« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2018, 06:32:52 PM »
The polishing is all well and good but it does nothing to address the real problem. If you've ever had a CZ75 you know about the mag brake. The tail of the P10C mag release (the part highlighted in red above that makes contact with the mag) actually acts as a mag brake. I removed minimal amounts of material several times until I got the mag to fall free. On a 75 you can take out the mag break and the mag will fall free, but it will also be very loose in the gun. I suspect if you took that tail completely off the P10C mag release the same thing would be true. As I removed material I put a gentle curved radius in the piece that touches the mag. Mags fall out like all my other guns now.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 07:03:16 PM by jwo483 »
75 SP01 Shadow Custom CZC - USPSA/IDPA
75 BD CGW - IDPA
75 D PCR - EDC/IDPA
Springfield Range Officer .45 USPSA/IDPA
Ruger 22/45 Custom .22 pistol irons - SCSA
Ruger 10/22 Custom .22 rifle irons - SCSA

Offline cremaley

• Retired but not forgotten
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2018, 07:09:00 PM »
My P-10 magazine release has broken in nicely and is not an issue for me. Staying with the stock set up on the mag release button.
CZ 10-PC 9mm (HBI Trigger, CGW Striker 3lb spring, GGI Stainless Guide Rod 15lb spring)
Sig Sauer P365 9mm
Sig Sauer P320 X Carry 9mm
Springfield 911 .380
"Remember the first rule of gunfighting...have a gun"-Jeff Cooper

Offline jwo483

« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2018, 08:18:09 PM »
The polishing is all well and good but it does nothing to address the real problem. If you've ever had a CZ75 you know about the mag brake. The tail of the P10C mag release (the part highlighted in red above that makes contact with the mag) actually acts as a mag brake. I removed minimal amounts of material several times until I got the mag to fall free. On a 75 you can take out the mag break and the mag will fall free, but it will also be very loose in the gun. I suspect if you took that tail completely off the P10C mag release the same thing would be true. As I removed material I put a gentle curved radius in the piece that touches the mag. Mags fall out like all my other guns now.
75 BD CGW - IDPA
75 D PCR - EDC/IDPA

Offline jwo483

« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2018, 04:10:11 PM »
GLN305's re-profiling of the mag catch makes things work the way they should have when the gun left the factory. THANK YOU !
75 BD CGW - IDPA
75 D PCR - EDC/IDPA

Offline wyoung

« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2018, 05:33:05 PM »
I would think there's a reason CZ made that piece with an angle. After some wear, it wouldn't surprise me if you start seeing some unintentional mag drops under recoil or inadvertently touching the mag release.

I'm not saying it will happen but maybe something to watch out for.

Offline jwo483

« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2018, 08:43:19 PM »
It's a matter of less than 0.010 - not worried. It's just. a matter of tolerance discrepancies.
75 BD CGW - IDPA
75 D PCR - EDC/IDPA

Offline briang2ad

« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2018, 08:29:05 AM »
If CZ was smart AND bold, they would have used long paddles a la Walther.  Result would have been a very successful and trouble free ambi mag release that is better and easy to train.  Unfortunately, it would mean lower sales cuz people are dumb.

Offline Craig M Arnold

« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2018, 10:27:57 AM »
No I believe that CZ is smart and knows that the Americans want the mag release just where it is. Walther had to learn that and introduced the M2 in the PPQ and PPS.

Best regards.
Make America Great Again

Offline briang2ad

« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2018, 11:42:28 AM »
No I believe that CZ is smart and knows that the Americans want the mag release just where it is. Walther had to learn that and introduced the M2 in the PPQ and PPS.

Best regards.

Like I said.  People are just plain dumb.