Author Topic: Long term into on Redhead target? new to trap and looking for first shotgun  (Read 4674 times)

Offline bozack

Hello All,

So I am looking at getting a shotgun for trap and am wondering if there are folks here who have used the Redhead target model for a while and what their thoughts were?

Whenever I go to the trap sites I am basically told B gun or bust, if it isn't a Browning, Beretta, or something that is seemingly 10K+ then it is junk.

But from what I have read about CZ it seems that they are doing pretty good with service and their overall quality appears to be good

I am down to either compromise to get a Browning pump or single shot (BPS or Bt99) or go with the Red head target, if I had to I could spend more but I really don't want to spend more than a grand on a new gun if I can.

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks

Offline Dodge807

well I have been using my Redhead Target now for about 3 yrs, I have between 2500 and 3000 rounds thru it. still feels tight with a smooth action. as I get more rounds thru it I am keeping a close eye on all aspects of the gun, vented rib, barrels and receiver. I can't tell you how will be after 10000 rounds, only that it is super sweet right now. Best $939.00 I ever spent on an over/under

Offline ss

I find myself in a somewhat similar debate. I am reading all the same stuff so its a real hard decision. Beretta a400 multitarget or cz all American combo.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Offline bozack

I find myself in a somewhat similar debate. I am reading all the same stuff so its a real hard decision. Beretta a400 multitarget or cz all American combo.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

That's a totally different price point though, if I were looking to spend 2K+ I'd prob spend on the beretta or the browning, I am trying to keep it around a grand max which there aren't many options for decent OUs it seems, I am now pretty firm on either just a redhead teal/deluxe or the target as I don't want to go much over a grand.

Offline tattooo

Target model will run you around $1200 

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Offline tattooo

Hello All,

So I am looking at getting a shotgun for trap and am wondering if there are folks here who have used the Redhead target model for a while and what their thoughts were?

Whenever I go to the trap sites I am basically told B gun or bust, if it isn't a Browning, Beretta, or something that is seemingly 10K+ then it is junk.

But from what I have read about CZ it seems that they are doing pretty good with service and their overall quality appears to be good

I am down to either compromise to get a Browning pump or single shot (BPS or Bt99) or go with the Red head target, if I had to I could spend more but I really don't want to spend more than a grand on a new gun if I can.

Did you pick a OU yet ?

Offline painter

Hello All,

I haven't owned, or shot, a CZ shotgun. I love CZ handguns.

The CZ over/unders are Huglu made guns. I chose to buy older, lightly used Miroku and SKB guns. After all, Miroku made, and still makes, guns for Browning, and SKB made guns for Ithaca, and Weatherby. Prices are close, but you can buy the older guns slightly cheaper.
I'd buy a BT 99 in a heartbeat if I was looking for a single barrel trap gun.

The reason I bring all this up is because not all of the B guns are made by the manufacturer named on the box. Some of the prices are stupid.

All this said, if you want a gun in current production in the 1K price range, by most reports you can't do better than CZ-USA for customer service and warranty.
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline Heisenberg

I've never seen anyone shooting a CZ shotgun and don't have any info on their reliability, but I'd be interested in hearing how well they hold up, too.   There really isn't anything else in the sub $1K price range for an O/U worth buying.  I can say this for sure - don't waste your money on a gun that doesn't fit.  That's more important in trap than almost all shooting sports.  You need to be able to pick up a shotgun and consistently mount it the same way every time: eye straight down the rib, beads lined up, cheek welded to the comb, w/o having to twist your head around.  The gun should fit you, you don't fit yourself to the gun.  It looks like the CZ target has a monte carlo stock, which is a good start and you could always have an adjustable comb cut into it.  Good luck.

Offline tsl34

• CZ Sporter and CZ Super Scroll Combo
Re: Long term into on Redhead target? new to trap and looking for first shotgun
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2017, 02:03:56 PM »
I can't speak directly to the Redhead Target but for what it's worth I have a CZ Sporter G2 I picked up in February. Over 5k through it this year so far and zero issues. I had one choke that wouldn't thread right and CZ customer service had it taken care of in less than a week. Very easy to work with. You can now get the Sporter (bud's gun shop) for less than $1300 I believe. Everyone at the club that has shot mine still can't believe how well it handles, that it came with an adjustable comb for the price it's at and how nice it is. Not a single issue and it's seen a good bit of shooting this summer.

Offline bozack

Just an update, been using mine now for a year and seems to work really well, still working on getting better but the shotgun looks good and does what I expect. Still not sure if it is fit properly but feels good when I mount it.