Author Topic: How Many of You Take More Than One Gun To The Range  (Read 27111 times)

Offline jdeko

Re: How Many of You Take More Than One Gun To The Range
« Reply #165 on: April 08, 2018, 09:02:50 PM »
I always take 3; my two handguns [M57 Tokarev and 10mm Witness] and my Saiga 12 or PTR91 on alternating months. I'll normally rent a pistol or two as well with a box or two of ammo. Hopefully in the future I'll have more money for more guns and more trips to the range.

Offline puddintame

« Reply #166 on: April 09, 2018, 01:46:54 AM »
I'm guessin everyone with more than one gun :o

Offline Jiva

• I came for the pistols and stayed for the rifles
« Reply #167 on: May 03, 2018, 10:49:22 AM »
If the weather cooperates then it's 3-position .22 rifle practice at the outdoor range followed by 9mm pistol drills from concealment.

Sometimes I bring more than I shoot but I find it's always better to have it and not use it than to regret not bringing it.
75 P-01 Compact 99041
75 D PCR Compact
75 SP-01 Tactical 9mm
612 HD
452 2E ZKM Lux .22LR
452 2E ZKM Classic .22LR
452 2E ZKM Varmint .22LR

Offline 9mmCZ

« Reply #168 on: May 14, 2018, 07:49:16 PM »
I normally take 10 guns to the range...
Start out with 100rnds of 12G, 300plus rnds for rifles, and few hundred rounds on various pistols, and close the session with my defensive handguns.

Offline Vinny

« Reply #169 on: May 14, 2018, 08:47:44 PM »
I normally take 10 guns to the range...
Start out with 100rnds of 12G, 300plus rnds for rifles, and few hundred rounds on various pistols, and close the session with my defensive handguns.
Man, that's a fun session but a whole lotta guns to clean afterwards!
Too much time cleaning and not enough time shooting for me.

I'm taking only one or two now; and shooting the heck out of 'em.  O0
"Fear is a reaction, Courage is a decision"
"Carpe Diem"

Offline 9mmCZ

« Reply #170 on: May 15, 2018, 02:37:48 AM »
It's definitely a fun hobby of mine. I used to clean daily, but only clean my guns once every 3 months now unless they get water on them and may get rusted or just need a good cleaning. I do keep my defensive guns clean at all times though.  :D

Offline Vinny

« Reply #171 on: May 15, 2018, 08:25:00 AM »
It's definitely a fun hobby of mine. I used to clean daily, but only clean my guns once every 3 months now unless they get water on them and may get rusted or just need a good cleaning. I do keep my defensive guns clean at all times though.  :D
I guess everyone has a different approach.
I use a cable with cleaning patch and Hoppes #9 down the barrel 3-4x and clean breach after every session. A couple of dabs of Slide-Glide on rails and barrel. I call it a 'quick clean & lube' Don't want that caustic residue eating away at my barrel and breach and getting hard while sitting in my safe. Takes about 5-10 minutes per gun and the residue comes right off if fresh.

Then I do a deeper cleaning field strip after shooting 300-400 rounds like every 3rd or 4th session.

I really don't have any 'beater guns' that I don't care about maintaining 100% 
But I do understand guys who treat 'em like a box of tools.  Different Strokes.  YMMV

"Carpe Diem"

Offline MadDuner

« Reply #172 on: May 19, 2018, 04:33:49 PM »
I field strip every weapon that is fired at the range - pretty much just as soon as I get home from the range.  Nothing in the safe is dirty.

Offline Vinny

« Reply #173 on: May 19, 2018, 04:56:50 PM »
I field strip every weapon that is fired at the range - pretty much just as soon as I get home from the range.  Nothing in the safe is dirty.
Makes sense to me.
I would guess you don't take 10 with you to the range.   

I don't feel like cleaning more than two, three MAX.  ;)
"Carpe Diem"

Offline MadDuner

« Reply #174 on: May 19, 2018, 05:07:13 PM »
Makes sense to me.
I would guess you don't take 10 with you to the range.   

I don't feel like cleaning more than two, three MAX.  ;)

True.  Usually, like today, shooting indoors - I took 5, and just finished cleaning them.  I fired 50 rounds through each of them, and each with their own target.  I certainly enjoyed the full size guns more than the little concealed carry ones.... But they ALL need to be practiced with.

Trips out shooting in the desert usually mean 8 or 10 for sure, sometimes if I bring company with me - the number can double.  And to be honest, they usually don't ALL get cleaned that same day. Maybe just the rifles when I get home, then the handguns the next day.  It would probably happen more often if I could get some help from my "guests" when it comes to PAYING FOR THE AMMO! Hahaha

Offline Mastodon

« Reply #175 on: May 28, 2018, 11:44:26 AM »
I suppose I average 3 handguns, shoot atleast two with my CCW on me.

Some days I just lay out for hours with a rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chartered in 1845 by The Republic of Texas

Offline Criz

« Reply #176 on: May 31, 2018, 07:06:58 PM »
I always take the P01 and the HK P30.  I alternate every 3 shots.  It makes it fun.  I print my own targets and keep track of which is which. 
Today was the best day with the HK but the P01 w/CGW trigger spanked it.  It was a blast to shoot back and forth. 
If I had 3, I'd take all 3.
I never take what people say too seriously, especially if I feel competent with alternating both.
Army - 67N Crewchief
Italian Motorcycles
German Cars
Northwest Coast IPAs

Offline Dan McGrath

« Reply #177 on: June 08, 2018, 07:07:41 PM »
I have an hours drive to my "Local" range and often shoot with my wife and daughter.  I normally bring more than one gun be it a rifle or pistol.   I do try to stick to one caliber at a time.

Offline dave19113

« Reply #178 on: June 08, 2018, 09:23:51 PM »
Was shooting at the indoor range that I shoot at and was in the middle of changing targets, when the shooter next to me ask me what I was shooting. A 1911 in .45, oh he said and looked at the pistol I was getting out of my range bag and asked what that was, a CZ SP-01 Shadow Target in 9mm. He went on to tell me "you know you will never shoot consistently shooting different guns, you should just focus on one." I thanked him and said I enjoy shooting different pistols, I said after this I will shoot a .22. He shook his head and walked away back to his lane.
Thought about it for a while......so what do you guys do???? Shoot more than one, or just focus on a single pistol. When I switch guns, it may take me a couple of shots to get used to the different grip, trigger and sights, but I don't think I really prevents me from shoot them all well.

Thats why we live in the good 'ol USA; do what makes you happy.

For myself, I normally bring a few different guns because I am constantly testing load data.

I will always bring a 22 rifle to shoot while I let a barrel cool; mostly my CZ 455 trainer.

Does that mean I cant shoot any guns well? Im sure if he was willing to put his money where is mouth is he would be a few dollars lighter.

Offline regular_guy

« Reply #179 on: June 10, 2018, 08:27:58 AM »
I've noticed a lot of "gun people" feel the need to tell others how they should do things (usually because they just read it on a forum).

In general, if I'm working on building technical skill or heavy into competition season, I take only gun, or one type of gun.

If I want to have a "fun" range day with no specific training goal in mind, I take a lot of guns! It all depends on what you want to get out of shooting!

Funny, last time I shot with Rob Leatham, he had about 5 different guns...guess he's doing it wrong :D

anything