Author Topic: Load Testing: Alliant Sport Pistol powder  (Read 57287 times)

Offline IDescribe

Load Testing: Alliant Sport Pistol powder
« on: June 10, 2017, 05:29:31 PM »
Anyone try out this new powder yet?   Alliant has published a fair amount of data for it:

Looks like a pretty clear 9mm minor powder to me.  Anyone curious enough yet?  ;)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 03:13:13 PM by Wobbly »

Offline tdogg

• Two Alpha!
Re: Alliant Sport Pistol
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 12:08:32 AM »
We're waiting for you to post up your results :).

I haven't seen this powder yet.

Cheers,
Toby

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

This forum rocks!

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 02:36:55 AM »
Just read this thread....
https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/new-alliant-sport-pistol.816514/

If I had the equipment to chronograph then I would! I have BE-86 and it's an awesome powder. Trying to burn through my 700X and if I could find some of this Sport Pistol to try, it could be a replacement for 700X...
"In God I trust. All others must supply data."

Offline ReloaderFred

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 11:37:31 AM »
I haven't seen it for sale in any of the places I normally buy powder.  From what I've read of it over the past several months, it really doesn't fit into my powder needs.  For warm loads, I use Power Pistol, BE-86 or several other different powders.  I don't shoot games where you need "minor or major" loads, so that aspect doesn't interest me.  I load for accuracy most of the time, and if a load or powder won't shoot more accurately than what I've been loading in the past, then I don't buy it.

I normally buy my powders in 8 pound kegs, and usually multiples of those to get the same powder lot.  If I do happen to run across a 1 pound bottle of Sport Pistol, I'll probably buy it, just to see if it is more accurate than some of my mainstay powders.

Hope this helps.

Fred
After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 11:47:49 AM »
So..... I definitely noticed a difference in my group sizes when I started testing BE-86 compared to 700X. 700X has worked but I had a lot from the great shortage and I am sick of trying to just burn through it. That's my justification to myself for ordering some Sport Pistol. I don't have a chrono, so my testing won't be special. But I'll let ya'll know how it works out.

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 12:57:00 PM »
Get more BE-86!  Or Bullseye!  Or American Select!  ;)

Idescribe is likely trolling me, but I have actually really wanted American Select for its burn rate, but they don't have much pistol load data and I couldn't find it for a long time. Then I read this from the guy at Alliant:
I doubt you will find Sport Pistol on any burn rate charts. As a point of reference, I had described this product as an accurate metering, small diameter version of American Select(R), which has been a favorite of mine in light centerfire pistol target type applications for years. (It doesn't meter all that well though.) This powder is absolutely not American Select though, so make no mistake about that. The chemistry and geometry are different, but I just used that as an example that made sense to me.
The third slide of the attached file shows how the P/V characteristics of Sport Pistol are essentially the same as N320, and close to Win231 and Titegroup in these applications. That is by design, as those three powders dominate the handloading by USPSA and IDPA shooters (according to our intel). We have received great feedback from our beta testers, so I think we hit our target.
(Disclaimer: the P/V chart does not show charge weights shot for the data, so please do not assume that the powders are the same because their P/V characteristics are similar. Titegroup, for example is a high nitroglycerine powder, so it's charges are materially less due to the high energy. Use only the manufacturer's data please.)
Thanks for the interest in our new product.
Paul
https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/new-alliant-sport-pistol.816514/page-4

So from what I can make out with my lesser experience in this arena of powders and reloading:
1- It has less nitro so uses a little more powder but should be a little cleaner (not a single base, but closer to it).
2- Due to the "small diameter" it meters well.
3- Burn rate is targeted at N320, Win231/HP-38, and Titegroup.

With those points and what else I have read in researching this powder seems like the replacement I want for 700X. Additionally, I have been really pleased with BE-86. Metering is great and I saw a marked difference in my groups when I switched to it from 700X, so I think Alliant is doing good stuff. I am not as die hard in reloading like you vets. I just want good powders in the burn rates I want and then I want to just reload and shoot a lot.

All that was to justify my behavior because I know I'll take some slack on this..... Since Sport Pistol checks the boxes I'm looking for I ordered an 8 lb jug. For me to dislike it there will need to be something very very wrong with it, such that I'll be contacting the manufacturer. Baring that happening, I am set to reload and shoot for quite some time without having to test, change, or worry about running out.

You guys can now mock me, I know its coming.

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 04:40:05 PM »
Get more BE-86!  Or Bullseye!  Or American Select!  ;)

Idescribe is likely trolling me...

WHAT?!?!?!  I wasn't trolling you, but if I'm going to get the punishment for it anyway, I might as well have the fun of it, as well.  You have made a powerful enemy here today.  :P

Anyhoo... ;)  I think American Select is fantastic powder for 9mm minor, and just very few people know about it.  It was superbly accurate for me with coated lead -- BBI 147 and BBI 125 specifically -- when I was testing with it back in late 2013 - early 2014.  In Sierra's load manual, American Select is powder for the "accuracy load" for the three 124gr 9mm Luger bullets in their manual.  And it's of a burn rate appropriate to 9mm minor.  If you want to try it, go for it. ;)

As to BE-86, it's high on my "to buy" list.  It's the same basic formulation as Bullseye and Power Pistol, and those are among the most accurate powders in their burn rate class.  I suspect the same can be said for BE-86.  Maybe a year ago, I was involved in a thread getting someone started with BE-86 -- probably you? -- and I was all about it.  I see BE-86 as Alliant's WSF.  I have no doubt it's great powder.

Since Sport Pistol checks the boxes I'm looking for I ordered an 8 lb jug.

First, you show us the way with BE-86, and now Sport Pistol?

If you're going to trailblaze like this for the forum, we may need to give you a patch or something. ;)  I will be looking forward to that thread.  In fact, go ahead and start that thread, tell us what bullets you're thinking about, and we can start planning. 

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 09:35:19 PM »

Since Sport Pistol checks the boxes I'm looking for I ordered an 8 lb jug.

First, you show us the way with BE-86, and now Sport Pistol?

If you're going to trailblaze like this for the forum, we may need to give you a patch or something. ;)  I will be looking forward to that thread.  In fact, go ahead and start that thread, tell us what bullets you're thinking about, and we can start planning.

Haha just messing with ya. But you did help with my BE-86 and you responded when I resurrected your American Select testing thread so I greatly appreciate you always pitching in.

I think I used all my Berry's 124 gr 9mm and now I just have their 115 gr 9mm. Oh and those coated bullets you guys helped me with. I'll load up with the berry's and the coated bullets over the next week or so and get that testing going. Have a work trip to Portland OR early next week, but once I'm back the party starts.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 03:36:32 PM by Wobbly »

Offline ReloaderFred

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2017, 11:28:07 AM »
I'm sorry you have to go to Portland on business.  We've been trying to sell that city to Washington state for years, but they don't want it, either.  The rest of Oregon doesn't claim Portland, since it's the land of tree-huggers, anti-gunners and just general whackos..........

Fred
After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs

Offline ReloaderFred

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2017, 05:42:45 PM »
I've shot at ARPC many times, as well as Roseburg Rod & Gun Club, the Josephine County Sportsman's Park in Merlin and COSSA.  My home range is The Siuslaw Rod & Gun Club, which I'm building to be a better place than when I joined 22 years ago.  So far, I'm on track......... 

I was at the Ashland Gun Club yesterday, and they're still in a court battle with their rich doctor neighbor who had sworn to get them closed down, after he built his mansion next to the club. (Don't buy Flonase, since this jerk invented it, and he's using the proceeds to try to shut down a range that's been there for many decades)

Fred

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2017, 02:27:25 AM »
It came this morning, but I just got back from my work trip to Portland. So busy I didn't have to do anything fun. I should have some loads worked up by this weekend for testing.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2017, 03:27:41 PM »
I should have some loads worked up by this weekend for testing.

Hey, what's the hold up there ?? !!   O0
Sorry had to clean a bunch of brass. Loading up my ladder today. More excuses, I had to install CGW bushings and my new red dot on these two ladies.... Excuses aside, this will be coming asap

« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 11:32:40 PM by Wobbly »

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2017, 05:47:04 PM »
Loaded up the ladder. I'll be shooting my Berry's 115 gr CPRN bullets. Following Alliant's standard pressure load data. 1.135 OAL and 4.5 gr to 4.9 gr of powder. Max is 5 gr but I am thinking of running a ladder of their +P and that goes from 4.8 gr to 5.4 gr.

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2017, 11:29:33 PM »
So it was a bad day for me at the range. Sighted in a new red dot on my SP-01 Compact. Then got to the Sport Pistol. My full size SP-01 has a new CGW bushing and I figured out that it changed the POI up from where it had been. All that is to say I was incapable of testing group size today.

But... My cases are noticeable cleaner in the interior at every step of the ladder than with 700X. Had burn marks on my cases from 4.5 gr to 4.7 gr. I noticed that it was a lot less smokey than 700X and even BE 86. I didn't notice any sparks or major muzzle flash. I do see muzzle flash with BE-86, even though it supposedly has stuff to suppress that (don't get me wrong, it isn't a lot and I think it looks awesome!). 

The recoil impulse is more than 700X at the bottom of its charge window (so soft that it is stupid). The recoil is softer than BE-86, so it seems to be fitting in the burn rate that they aimed for (around HP-38). Come to think of it, I think it was burning cleaner than HP-38, but it's been a while since I've shot my HP-38.

Overall I really like this powder. Sorry I sucked too bad today and could provide groups. Here's a few picks. 15 yards. You can see I kept changing my grip or my sight picture. I should have just shot free hand. It's embarrassing, but here's the pics I took.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 03:40:14 PM by Wobbly »

SPO1SHADOW

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2017, 07:18:56 PM »
Powder Valley has 8 pound jugs for $129.00. I just pulled the trigger on a jug. Can't wait to give it a try, been hearing a lot of good things about it.

anything