Author Topic: My new range brass scooper  (Read 4523 times)

Offline Scarlett Pistol

My new range brass scooper
« on: November 05, 2017, 10:56:04 PM »
The indoor range I go to is pretty cool. They let me practice drawing from my holster and they haven't minded me cleaning up everyone's brass. This has gotten a lot worse since getting a 10mm. Now I am really scavenging all I can.

When I broom up a pile I then have to put handfuls into a bag and that just isn't working. I snagged my wife's dust pan one day and that worked well, so I needed my own. I determined I needed a tougher and more durable one. Packing a giant garage sized metal dust pan seems excessive and too large for my range bag system. So, tonight while at home depot getting stuff for a minor catastrophe clean up (4 yr old clogged the toilet and let it flood the upstairs for a few minutes) I snagged a flat head shovel for $9. Once the flood was dealt with I removed the wood handle. Then drilled 4 holes so I can shake out the dust and garbage after each scoop. I think this will be excellent, but I'll report further after a trip to the range.

Do you all have any nifty range brass pick up tools and doodads?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

"In God I trust. All others must supply data."

Offline Evolve13

• BANNED
    • It Will Come Back Ten Fold
Re: My new range brass scooper
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 11:10:31 PM »
I don?t have any suggestions, and pardon me for saying but I pictured you on your hands and knees scooping brass in between people legs and lanes with that midget shovel and am cracking up. 

I hope it works!!!
The best defense against evil men,
are good men who are skilled at violence.

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 11:12:57 PM »
I don?t have any suggestions, and pardon me for saying but I pictured you on your hands and knees scooping brass in between people legs and lanes with that midget shovel and am cracking up. 

I hope it works!!!

Haha round 1 I use a broom and I just get stuff from empty stalls or open areas. But for 10mm brass? I would do exactly what you're describing!

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 11:43:38 PM »
A pecan picker-upper should work if the flooring isn't too slippery: wire basket with slits that pick up cases as it's rolled over them. I've seen them used with a straight up and down movement that would work on indoor floors.
For sale numerous places and works well outdoors.  A number of match shooters use these.  The pic is from Amazon.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 11:46:01 PM by 1SOW »

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 11:51:30 PM »
A pecan picker-upper should work if the flooring isn't too slippery: wire basket with slits that pick up cases as it's rolled over them. I've seen them used with a straight up and down movement that would work on indoor floors.
For sale numerous places and works well outdoors.  A number of match shooters use these.  The pic is from Amazon.

I've seen those and they seemed expensive. I didn't realize they were originally for picking up pecans. That's definitely something I may eventually get!

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 06:27:27 AM »
There was a guy at my club picking up brass while I was shooting the other day. He stayed behind the line but it was extremely distracting. When I stopped and gave him a look, he said "is this yours?". I said "if it's hot and just came out of my gun, then yeah...". When the sickness hits, it hits hard.  O0

Offline MadDuner

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 06:39:04 AM »
That looks like a good idea.
I hate having to scoop up my brass at the end of my shooting session.  I sweep it all into a nice pile, but still have to bend down in the stall and put it into my range bag by the handful.

I've just about decided that my self-respect is not worth the $35 per 1,000 the brass would cost if I left it there and bought it back later from somebody else that sells range brass.

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 08:25:03 AM »
There was a guy at my club picking up brass while I was shooting the other day. He stayed behind the line but it was extremely distracting. When I stopped and gave him a look, he said "is this yours?". I said "if it's hot and just came out of my gun, then yeah...". When the sickness hits, it hits hard.  O0
Yeah... I try to be very attentive and see if people are picking theirs up or sweeping it out. If the have boxes of loads that look like they loaded them I give em plenty of space.

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 08:26:18 AM »
That looks like a good idea.
I hate having to scoop up my brass at the end of my shooting session.  I sweep it all into a nice pile, but still have to bend down in the stall and put it into my range bag by the handful.

I've just about decided that my self-respect is not worth the $35 per 1,000 the brass would cost if I left it there and bought it back later from somebody else that sells range brass.
Sounds like you need a dust pan too. I keep a grocery bag in my range bag for the brass so it doesn't get all over my range bag.

Offline painter

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2017, 09:11:04 AM »
Be careful using a broom when collecting brass at an indoor range. Most ranges have 'lots' of lead dust on the floor, and when you sweep it becomes airborne. We use squeegees to push brass into piles for pickup at our indoor range.
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2017, 09:23:57 AM »
Be careful using a broom when collecting brass at an indoor range. Most ranges have 'lots' of lead dust on the floor, and when you sweep it becomes airborne. We use squeegees to push brass into piles for pickup at our indoor range.
Oh that's definitely good to know, thank you!

Offline larryflew

• Minnesota
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2017, 01:10:20 PM »

Been using one for MANY years before they went up in price as a brass recovery tool. As nut pickers they where cheap. Would like the newer ones with screw together handles compared to the single long wooden handle on the nut picker. If they only used a regular holder for the handle instead of a bolt.......................
When did it change from "We the people" to "screw the people"?

, []]]]]]]]]]]\>
        )'_\   (
'            \ *\
'              \ _\

Larry

Minnesota shooter
and CZ fanatic
NRA life since the 70's
USAF 66-70

Why use 911 when it's faster to use 1911 or 9mm?

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2017, 02:37:04 PM »
There are a LOT of versions and variations of the basket brass retrievers.

I have seen many,  because it irritates the fire out of me when someone comes along while fixing targets for the next shooter at a match stage and and a pecan picker starts picking up ALL the brass instead of just his/her brass.  Mine are banded in red.  When I see mine in someone's basket,  I ask for them back and say  "thank's for picking it up for me." >:(

At range practice,  I put up a screen to my right;  so I can find MOST of what I brought in a small area.

Offline seaswol

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2017, 04:21:31 PM »
A true pecan p/u (picker upper) isn't a great idea. Most pecans are 2 - 5 times larger than the brass you drop.  The wire spacing in a pecan p/u has too much existing spread for anything in diameter smaller than a .45 ACP.  The designed brass p/u will have the wires closer together.  Worst case, you may pick up  some .22 brass with the designed p/u.  Our range has three types, tried them all and wide spaced wire types drop 60% of what they pick up.  The right one is good on sand, dirt wood, concrete and OK in grass or weeds.  If the grass, dirt or sand is wet then you end up with some mucked up brass.

Offline MadDuner

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2017, 06:36:42 PM »
There are a LOT of versions and variations of the basket brass retrievers.

I have seen many,  because it irritates the fire out of me when someone comes along while fixing targets for the next shooter at a match stage and and a pecan picker starts picking up ALL the brass instead of just his/her brass.  Mine are banded in red.  When I see mine in someone's basket,  I ask for them back and say  "thank's for picking it up for me." >:(

At range practice,  I put up a screen to my right;  so I can find MOST of what I brought in a small area.

Way too much of my brass ends up out in front of the firing line.  I reach as much of it as I can with a broom - then the rest of it is lost to somebody else.  I guesstimate that I lose about 30% at the indoor range.  I lose next to none out in the desert - unless I shoot in an especially rocky area for the brass to get lost in.

My steel rifle stuff is easy with the simple harbor freight magnet stick.

I'm betting that the patent for a magnet that was attracted to brass would be worth a bunch!
OK you physicists.......
bet busy with some of that strange metal magic you've been playing with!

anything