Author Topic: If not a 9mm, what other pistol cartridges do you love?  (Read 5366 times)

Offline sboone

Re: If not a 9mm, what other pistol cartridges do you love?
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2017, 10:13:35 PM »
The only other pistol caliber I have is the classy 45 auto.  Shoot it through a Sig 1911 nitron tactical.  I want to sell it but it keeps holding on because it?s just an easy shooter and can?t bring myself to let it go.

If I were to head into another pistol caliber I?d go 10mm.  It is currently what I consider to be the best candidate for the old school philosophy of a pistol and rifle using the same Ammo as I could get a glock and a Kriss carbine and use common ammo and mags, then optimistically I think with some handload work ups that it could be a potent 300 yd carbine and a pistol that could deliver a thump at closer range.  I?ve got a lot of time to think to myself

Offline AZ_CZ

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2017, 10:39:45 PM »
Had lots of different calibers but once I started reloading focused on 9mm and 45ACP. Still have a Ruger Blackhawk in 357 but use the 9mm cylinder at the range. During the ammo shortage I noticed I could always find 40 so I have a 40P tucked away and a stash of ammo - just in case. Also have cz83 that is a safe queen. Not sure why I keep except I love the grips on it.

I always want a revolver in 30 carbine. If I find a deal I might have to give it whirl just for grins.
CZ Fanbot since 1996

Offline Blackwatch

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2017, 11:02:32 PM »
I started years ago with .40 S&W but it was getting expensive and hard to find...so I decided to "standardize" on NATO calibers i.e 9mm for pistols and 5.56 for rifle.
Roll forward to present day; my second choice to shoot is .22LR (pistol and rifle)...good ammo is relatively cheap and accurate. Then lastly .380 ACP for CCW, not so much for range outings.

The Guardian

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2017, 11:29:11 PM »
10mm ........... I had a DW Silverback, STI Nitro, and Sig P220 all in 10mm......all were excellent!!!   In an attempt to scale down an ever growing collection and variation in rounds those made the chopping block along with other firearms, in lieu of other comparable calibers.  I still "struggle" with not trying to replace them  :-\    As far as use, my intent was for outdoors...hunting, hiking, camping, as well as range.....not so much for personal defense, its a bit too much of a round for populated areas IMHO  ;) 
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 11:32:55 PM by The Guardian »

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2017, 12:30:32 AM »
10mm ........... I had a DW Silverback, STI Nitro, and Sig P220 all in 10mm......all were excellent!!!   In an attempt to scale down an ever growing collection and variation in rounds those made the chopping block along with other firearms, in lieu of other comparable calibers.  I still "struggle" with not trying to replace them  :-\    As far as use, my intent was for outdoors...hunting, hiking, camping, as well as range.....not so much for personal defense, its a bit too much of a round for populated areas IMHO  ;)
There's no need to struggle any longer.... You deserve getting a 10mm again! Here's my baby to help you along in going and getting another.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

"In God I trust. All others must supply data."

skin

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2017, 01:39:38 AM »
I have a few, but my favorites are anything that start with a 4 or a 5.

Offline Lion122

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2017, 03:58:24 AM »
I love the 7.65mm/32acp because of the local 32acp rounds that without +p go over a 1000fps also the 38spl and 357mag

Sent from my SM-A700F using Tapatalk

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2017, 07:21:28 AM »
The guns (.40 S&W P07 and 9MM P09) are more accurate than I am.  I need two things.  More practice and much, much more exercise.  I'm out of shape and it's my fault.  I get tired much too quickly at the range.

My best groups have been with the P09 9MM.  My .40 S&W is close, but not exactly like the P09 on paper.  You have to realize that you can buy two identical pistols and one will be more, or less, accurate than the other one.  I have a P09 in .40 S&W that is not as accurate as the .40 S&W P07 or the 9MM P09.  It just isn't, from the factory, the equal of the P07.  Could it be with different loads?  Maybe.  I've not spent the time to try to develop a .40 S&W load just for that P09.  If I decide, some day, to sacrifice a .40 S&W CZ pistol and spend the money for a .357 SIG conversion, it would be that P09.

May not be great by target/competition comparison but so far above what my Glock, XDM and M&P pistols (and the lone Browning) I own and used to shoot that all those guns "live" in a safe these days.

The first target is the P07 at 12 yds. with Nosler 135 grain HPs over a charge of Blue Dot (lots of BANG, lots of FLASH and the empties fly 12 or 15 ft. if I don't get close to the screen between the tables so the empties can bounce off it and fall near me).  There are two holes not with the other 11 and those are my fault.  I called the one straight down (knew it would be low when the hammer dropped) and the one low/left was me chasing a bumble bee that flew across the front of the target (sort of a reflex from years ago).

After seeing what this pistol will do, I wouldn't change it to .357 SIG if it was cheap and easy to do so.

This next picture was the P09 9MM.  I shot the first two shots, couldn't figure out why I only had one hole.  Couldn't figure out how I missed the whole darn target.  Shot the third shot and the hole was enough bigger to see that it was now a 3 shot hole.  Then I got the shakes and really struggled to force myself to take the next shot.  Took several tries as it just would not get "good enough" to squeeze the trigger.  Never steady enough, never lined up just right, never "good enough" to squeeze the trigger.  I don't think I took a picture of the whole 20 shot group as it was ugly after I gave up and just started squeezing the trigger.  I've never just fallen apart like that before.  I just took too much time thinking about how awesome that group was going to be and that can be a bad thing.

Both targets were offhand and 12 yds. with iron sights and both were the first trip to the range with each pistol.  Now, with the RMR on the P09 those 115 grain hollow points strike POA, exactly.

How can you not like a gun that shoots well?  Regardless of the caliber.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline Swamp ash

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2017, 08:54:18 AM »
I love .22 LR. It is such a fun round to shoot!
Ruger rimfire fan

Offline double-d

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2017, 09:05:09 AM »
.45acp, .357mag, 44mag

Offline Lion122

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2017, 09:28:46 AM »
The guns (.40 S&W P07 and 9MM P09) are more accurate than I am.  I need two things.  More practice and much, much more exercise.  I'm out of shape and it's my fault.  I get tired much too quickly at the range.

My best groups have been with the P09 9MM.  My .40 S&W is close, but not exactly like the P09 on paper.  You have to realize that you can buy two identical pistols and one will be more, or less, accurate than the other one.  I have a P09 in .40 S&W that is not as accurate as the .40 S&W P07 or the 9MM P09.  It just isn't, from the factory, the equal of the P07.  Could it be with different loads?  Maybe.  I've not spent the time to try to develop a .40 S&W load just for that P09.  If I decide, some day, to sacrifice a .40 S&W CZ pistol and spend the money for a .357 SIG conversion, it would be that P09.

May not be great by target/competition comparison but so far above what my Glock, XDM and M&P pistols (and the lone Browning) I own and used to shoot that all those guns "live" in a safe these days.

The first target is the P07 at 12 yds. with Nosler 135 grain HPs over a charge of Blue Dot (lots of BANG, lots of FLASH and the empties fly 12 or 15 ft. if I don't get close to the screen between the tables so the empties can bounce off it and fall near me).  There are two holes not with the other 11 and those are my fault.  I called the one straight down (knew it would be low when the hammer dropped) and the one low/left was me chasing a bumble bee that flew across the front of the target (sort of a reflex from years ago).

After seeing what this pistol will do, I wouldn't change it to .357 SIG if it was cheap and easy to do so.

This next picture was the P09 9MM.  I shot the first two shots, couldn't figure out why I only had one hole.  Couldn't figure out how I missed the whole darn target.  Shot the third shot and the hole was enough bigger to see that it was now a 3 shot hole.  Then I got the shakes and really struggled to force myself to take the next shot.  Took several tries as it just would not get "good enough" to squeeze the trigger.  Never steady enough, never lined up just right, never "good enough" to squeeze the trigger.  I don't think I took a picture of the whole 20 shot group as it was ugly after I gave up and just started squeezing the trigger.  I've never just fallen apart like that before.  I just took too much time thinking about how awesome that group was going to be and that can be a bad thing.

Both targets were offhand and 12 yds. with iron sights and both were the first trip to the range with each pistol.  Now, with the RMR on the P09 those 115 grain hollow points strike POA, exactly.

How can you not like a gun that shoots well?  Regardless of the caliber.
That is the what makes guns fun get a gun that shoots great so get a CZ and enjoy the caliber you bought it in

Offline eastman

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2017, 08:51:29 PM »
I love the 7.65mm/32acp because of the local 32acp rounds that without +p go over a 1000fps also the 38spl and 357mag

I also enjoy the collection of Mouse Guns in 7.65 Browning (especially the CZ 83).

.45 ACP is one of my favorites to shoot

never thought I would say this, but I love my .40s (SP-01 Tactical, Tac Sport and IPSC Standard)
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline zormpas

• Zorba, "The Veiled Male"
    • Zorba, "The Veiled Male"
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2017, 09:09:17 PM »
.32 ACP. WW II era Walther PP and a Beretta Tomcat. Just can't miss with the PP.

Ruger Mark III with the 6" tapered bbl - in .22LR of course!

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2017, 09:58:40 PM »
I tend to be a "Variety is the Spice of Life" kinda guy.

I'm currently shooting:
.22 LR
.32 ACP
.32 S&W Long
.32-20
9mm
.38 S&W
.38 Short Colt
.38 Special
.357 Magnum
.40 S&W
.45 Colt

The most attention these days goes to .22, .38 Special, and .40 S&W.

The only handguns/calibers that have gone down the road were a .327 Blackhawk and a .223 Encore.  The .327 was a 3 or 4" Blackhawk that would have been amazing if it was a 6-7" Single Six and the Encore just didn't get used and I needed to get baseball gear for a 12 and 7 year old.

Offline Brian Ahearn

• Easton Firearms Refinishing
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2017, 11:40:29 AM »
In my original post I forgot one of my absolute favorites the 22TCM9R shot out of my CZ clone the Rock Island Mapp which uses CZ 75 mags just a blast to shoot.
Easton Firearms Refinishing Owner/Operator
NRA Pistol Instructor
CZ Collector