Author Topic: Powder for 9mm  (Read 4159 times)

Offline rotorwind

Powder for 9mm
« on: March 04, 2018, 11:20:56 AM »
hey guys I just recently got into reloading.   Got a Dillon 550 and have loaded maybe 400-500 rounds.   I've been using Bullseye just because that's what was recommended by the guy in the store.   Its been working fine, no issues.    Just wanted to see what you guys were using or recommended.    Not sure if I should stick with Bullseye or try something else.   I shoot USPSA competition and a lot of the guys use Titegroup.   One friend uses Unique and another friend recommended CFE pistol.

Will be shooting 124GR Xtreme plated out of CZ Shadow 2 and Canik TP9SFX.   Want to get around 130 PF.   So many powders out there its confusing!

thanks!

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
Re: Powder for 9mm
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 11:41:18 AM »
I've used a little Red Dot for plated/lead practice rounds.  Haven't used it for awhile, may try it again at some point.

I've used quite a bit of Blue Dot for 115 grain hollow points.  These aren't really light loads, but intended as a carry round.  Accuracy, reliability are both good in my pistols.

I've used a little Unique.  Very dirty at lower powder levels.  Might not be so dirty if I used more powder to help the pressure seal the case in the chamber better.  Not done with it, just wondering.

I've used quite a bit of AA#5, but not lately.  Never got the accuracy out of it I wanted but that could very well be the pistols I was using.  My M&P's just won't shoot with my CZ's.  Been thinking about getting a 1 lb. can to test again with the CZ pistols.  Of the four I've listed so far this one meters the most consistently through my powder measures.

I've used a very little bit of Bullseye, but can't say whether it's good or not.

Yeah, for the most part these are "old" powders.  Tried and true.  As they've worked for me with other cartridges in the past I've sort of stuck with them.  I have a couple "new" cans to try, just haven't gotten around to it, yet.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Moken

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 12:37:42 PM »
I'm a fan of Hodgdon Longshot for 9mm and .45 AP.

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 12:42:20 PM »
I've tried many powders over the years. Right now I like:
Power Pistol for 9mm
Bullseye for .45 acp and .38 spl
2400 for .357 mag.

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 03:22:36 PM »
Hey guys I just recently got into reloading. Got a Dillon 550 and have loaded maybe 400-500 rounds. I've been using Bullseye just because that's what was recommended by the guy in the store. Its been working fine, no issues. Just wanted to see what you guys were using or recommended. Not sure if I should stick with Bullseye or try something else. I shoot USPSA competition and a lot of the guys use Titegroup. One friend uses Unique and another friend recommended CFE pistol.

Will be shooting 124GR Xtreme plated out of CZ Shadow 2 and Canik TP9SFX. Want to get around 130 PF. So many powders out there its confusing!

To really improve in competition you need better components all around.

? First move is the bullet. My advice is to forget about plated bullets. You can buy Precision Delta 124gr JHP at $89/1000 when you buy 2000. This is one of the finest bullets on the market and is often cheaper than the so-so plated bullets. I also like their jacketed 124gr RN.

The Dillon seating die really doesn't have an anvil for a conical bullet, so you'll want to build up a special one with epoxy, or have one cut.

? The powder of choice is VihtaVuori N320. It runs about $37/lb but that's only an extra penny per shot and the results are worth it. Others in that speed range are W231, HP-38, and maybe BE-86. Alliant Sport Pistol is worth testing.

Tite Group is used quite a lot, but it's primary strong point is that it's cheap. And when I say cheap, I mean it's inexpensive but also of dubious quality. It's also an easy powder to double-load, and that's very undesirable trait for competition.

Bullseye and Unique have both been around since ~1880. They are always in the running, but a bit dated in several respects, like metering.

? The primer of choice is Federal #100 due to its thinner cup. It's always the first choice when the hammer spring has been reduced. Federal #150 mag primers might be your second best choice with some testing. Winchester is your distant second choice.

So its a combination of components that delivers. You can't buy a great bullet and put it over shoddy powder (or vice versa) and expect any type of real performance.

Hope this helps.
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline rotorwind

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 03:48:54 PM »
Hey guys I just recently got into reloading. Got a Dillon 550 and have loaded maybe 400-500 rounds. I've been using Bullseye just because that's what was recommended by the guy in the store. Its been working fine, no issues. Just wanted to see what you guys were using or recommended. Not sure if I should stick with Bullseye or try something else. I shoot USPSA competition and a lot of the guys use Titegroup. One friend uses Unique and another friend recommended CFE pistol.

Will be shooting 124GR Xtreme plated out of CZ Shadow 2 and Canik TP9SFX. Want to get around 130 PF. So many powders out there its confusing!

To really improve in competition you need better components all around.

? First move is the bullet. My advice is to forget about plated bullets. You can buy Precision Delta 124gr JHP at $89/1000 when you buy 2000. This is one of the finest bullets on the market and is often cheaper than the so-so plated bullets. I also like their jacketed 124gr RN.

The Dillon seating die really doesn't have an anvil for a conical bullet, so you'll want to build up a special one with epoxy, or have one cut.

? The powder of choice is VihtaVuori N320. It runs about $37/lb but that's only an extra penny per shot and the results are worth it. Others in that speed range are W231, HP-38, and maybe BE-86. Alliant Sport Pistol is worth testing.

Tite Group is used quite a lot, but it's primary strong point is that it's cheap. And when I say cheap, I mean it's inexpensive but also of dubious quality. It's also an easy powder to double-load, and that's very undesirable trait for competition.

Bullseye and Unique have both been around since ~1880. They are always in the running, but a bit dated in several respects, like metering.

? The primer of choice is Federal #100 due to its thinner cup. It's always the first choice when the hammer spring has been reduced. Federal #150 mag primers might be your second best choice with some testing. Winchester is your distant second choice.

So its a combination of components that delivers. You can't buy a great bullet and put it over shoddy powder (or vice versa) and expect any type of real performance.

Hope this helps.

Very good info!   I need to look into the N320 one friend of mine recommended it as well.  I do see a lot of recommendations online for W231 as well.    Currently I've used Remington primers and Winchester with no problems.   Guns are stock.    So far my Xtreme bullets have been very accurate but I'm open to trying others.   I'll look into Precision delta

thanks everyone for the responses so far!

Offline DWARREN

• Old & Tired
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 04:35:00 PM »
I like Longshot, HS-6, CFE Pistol and for some applications Titegroup.
I use mostly plated or coated 124/125 gr flat point bullets.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 10:45:39 PM by DWARREN »
"1776" - Part II

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2018, 07:52:26 PM »
Very good info!  I need to look into the N320 one friend of mine recommended it as well.  I do see a lot of recommendations online for W231 as well.  Currently I've used Remington primers and Winchester with no problems.  Guns are stock.  So far my Xtreme bullets have been very accurate but I'm open to trying others.  I'll look into Precision Delta.

? N320 is what's in the "Angus load" which Mr Hobdell reported on this forum maybe 10 years ago.

? W231 is (was) the most popular pistol powder in the world I understand, so there's likely to be quite a lot out there on it. It is the exact same powder as Hodgdon HP-38, which you'll usually find $1-$2 cheaper per pound.

? The Federal #100 will ignite with a lighter strike and emit a hotter flame. That will give you a small but necessary edge in competition.

? The PD and Zero bullets will beat all the plated bullets in side-by-side competition.

;)
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline Practical Shooter

• Legio Patria Nostra
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2018, 08:36:45 PM »
With 124gr Xtreme RN, I have used AA#5 and loved it, but when the can got emptied, I had to try something else.
I went with TiteGroup. Yes it's cheap, yes it's dirty, but it works very well, measure very well too.
This can ran out as well, and Alliant came out with Sport Pistol, so I had to try it.
So far, it seams cleaner that TG. It is the same price as TG, measure as well as TG and weight per round is almost identical as TG.
Here are my loads :
http://canikdiscussions.com/thread/2497/alliant-sport-pistol-powder-load

Offline rotorwind

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2018, 08:48:21 PM »
With 124gr Xtreme RN, I have used AA#5 and loved it, but when the can got emptied, I had to try something else.
I went with TiteGroup. Yes it's cheap, yes it's dirty, but it works very well, measure very well too.
This can ran out as well, and Alliant came out with Sport Pistol, so I had to try it.
So far, it seams cleaner that TG. It is the same price as TG, measure as well as TG and weight per round is almost identical as TG.
Here are my loads :
http://canikdiscussions.com/thread/2497/alliant-sport-pistol-powder-load

Excellent!   I?ve been researching most of the day and had settled on trying out some Sport Pistol.    Glad to hear you like it.    I?m going to get a pound and try it out.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline m1a_scoutguy

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2018, 01:34:23 AM »
Lots of good info for sure !! For 9mm I use Universal and for 45acp I use Titegroup ! I have loaded "thousands of rds with both these powders in both calibers and never had a issue. I have loaded and used both on single stage presses and my Dillon 550 and they have always performed above average for me. Maybe there are better choices and there are more expensive choices but these will give you a very big bang for your buck !! Depending on the bullet and load charge I get well over 1000 rds per pound of Universal in 9mm same with titegroup in the 45 !  ;D I do shoot some IDPA & USPSA but nothing very serious,,so for me MOA of a A-Zone IDPA target or 8inch steel plate @ 25yrs is more than adequate for me. But then I'm shooting a CZ so everything shoots good in them,,LOL  ;)

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2018, 08:38:04 AM »
Bullets
As Wobbly said, jacketed bullets are better than plated bullets all around, and at 8.9 cents per bullet for Precision Delta, often equal in price or cheaper than plated.  And I'd recommend you stick with 124/125gr bullets early on.

Powders
Pay attention to people's recommendations.  Someone saying they like Powder-X for 9mm is not the same as their saying they like Powder-X for USPSA/IDPA 9mm minor loads.  There are lots of excellent powders for 9mm that you wouldn't want to use for 9mm minor.  If you're shooting 50 yard bullseye events, for example, accuracy is your ultimate concern, and Power Pistol, AA7, and Silhouette would be good choices, but you wouldn't want them for 9mm minor.  If you're loading defensive loads, then velocity becomes a concern as defensive bullets need to impact at a certain velocity to function properly.  For USPSA/IDPA 9mm minor, recoil is a consideration, and you're looking to minimize recoil at a relatively modest velocity, which makes some of the faster burning powders appropriate, but not necessarily THE fastest burning powders.  It's about picking the right powder for the application based on the needs of that application.

Powders in the burn rate range I consider about right for 9mm minor:

Accurate Arms #2, Bullseye, Titegroup, American Select, Sport Pistol, N320, Ramshot Zip, HP-38, Winchester 231

In that burn rate range, I left off some less common powders, powders that are currently absent from the market, and powders that for whatever reason I don't hear much about or that people don't seem to use for this application.  I've used every powder on that list for 9mm minor loads except Sport Pistol, which is new.  Surprise!  They're all good.  ;)  And Bullseye is my 9mm minor go-to powder, for what that's worth. 

Offline Old Rocket

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2018, 09:41:32 AM »
Bullets, I believe u need to shoot more. I save by buying bulk 3.5k + and coated from Acme, Blue Bullets and BBI . I don't spend more than 6.5 cents per bullet for 124-125gr projectiles. Yes the jacketed bullets are the top but I don't loose any accuracy in USPSA and I use less powder to make minor PF.

Powder, lots of choices as mentioned above. For minor I have used and like bullseye,  n320,  wsf and sr7625 (discontinued) which still have a place on my bench.

Primers , have used them all and now only stock Winchester and Seller Bellot which work for me.

Find a combination that meets PF and shoot and shoot and shoot. U will get the most reward out of that than chasing a holy grail load for USPSA. I cringe at the thought of spending more than 10-11 cents per bullet for my 9mm minor load.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 10:06:21 AM by Old Rocket »
CZ 75b
CZ P09
SP 01
SP 01
TS 40
VZ2008

Moken

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2018, 10:22:05 AM »
As many people are bringing to light, it depends on what you're doing. It is amazing the numbers if great powders we have available to us. I think that is part if the fun in reloading.
Right now I'm using Unique for plinking. Longshot and CFE for performance and carry rounds. I also like those three because the do well in 9mm 45 AP and 38 +P.

Offline rotorwind

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2018, 10:35:03 AM »
Bullets
As Wobbly said, jacketed bullets are better than plated bullets all around, and at 8.9 cents per bullet for Precision Delta, often equal in price or cheaper than plated.  And I'd recommend you stick with 124/125gr bullets early on.

Powders
Pay attention to people's recommendations.  Someone saying they like Powder-X for 9mm is not the same as their saying they like Powder-X for USPSA/IDPA 9mm minor loads.  There are lots of excellent powders for 9mm that you wouldn't want to use for 9mm minor.  If you're shooting 50 yard bullseye events, for example, accuracy is your ultimate concern, and Power Pistol, AA7, and Silhouette would be good choices, but you wouldn't want them for 9mm minor.  If you're loading defensive loads, then velocity becomes a concern as defensive bullets need to impact at a certain velocity to function properly.  For USPSA/IDPA 9mm minor, recoil is a consideration, and you're looking to minimize recoil at a relatively modest velocity, which makes some of the faster burning powders appropriate, but not necessarily THE fastest burning powders.  It's about picking the right powder for the application based on the needs of that application.

Powders in the burn rate range I consider about right for 9mm minor:

Accurate Arms #2, Bullseye, Titegroup, American Select, Sport Pistol, N320, Ramshot Zip, HP-38, Winchester 231

In that burn rate range, I left off some less common powders, powders that are currently absent from the market, and powders that for whatever reason I don't hear much about or that people don't seem to use for this application.  I've used every powder on that list for 9mm minor loads except Sport Pistol, which is new.  Surprise!  They're all good.  ;)  And Bullseye is my 9mm minor go-to powder, for what that's worth.

good info!   I'm reloading for USPSA and general target shooting.   So yeah looking for minor 9mm loads.   Sounds like I'm on the right track using bullseye.   I did buy some Titegroup but read a lot of negatives about it online so was looking at other options.   I think I'm going to try some Sport Pistol and compare it to my bullseye load.   

thanks everyone for the info!

anything