Author Topic: Magazine Differences  (Read 4425 times)

Offline flyrod40

Magazine Differences
« on: May 27, 2018, 10:30:31 AM »
Hi Guys and any ladies, I am new to your forum and have enjoyed reading about CZ83s and 82s.  I recently purchased a used CZ83 from the latest batch that Aim is selling.  I purchased a select grade and then opted for the best of five hand select.  I received a very nice 1994 model.  When I have more time I will post a few pictures.  Having just read the stickie on that topic, it does not seem too hard.

Here is my question:  I just purchased a set of walnut grips from grips4u for my CZ83.  They really look good and dress the gun up a lot.  The magazine that came with the pistol is not marked but does have a round hole on its bottom left side.  The new mag I received from Midway the other day is supposed to be genuine CZ, and I suspect it is because of the packaging.  It does not have the hole at the bottom left, but otherwise they appear identical.  I even measured them with a calipers and cannot see a measurement difference.  Both drop freely from the pistol with the plastic grips on the pistol, but the one with the hole does not want to drop when the wood grips are installed.  I have done some sanding on the inside of the grips with no improvement.  I may do more sanding but don't want to take off too much material from the grips.

Does anyone know if the mag with the hole is aftermarket?

Thanks in advance

Offline Igrlik

Re: Magazine Differences
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 11:27:25 AM »
The mag with the hole is original CZ. The hole is way to "demilitarize" mag discharging "crossed swords"

bonj

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 07:09:19 PM »
? ?  None of my my OEM CZ originals have a hole in them or an X.

Offline Igrlik

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 03:02:30 PM »
THIS IS NOT X !!!  >:(
(ignorant person)
All original CZ 82 mags were signed using army acceptance mark - crossed swords (used since 1950-51?).
Because all CZ 82 were made primarily only for army and police.
CZ 83 in 9mm Browning Court aka .380 ACP is civilian weapon, alike .32 ACP, so this mags don?t have this sign.
Mags for 9mm Mak and .380 ACP are the same dimensions.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 03:19:02 PM by Igrlik »

Offline cntrydawwwg

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 10:06:40 PM »
THIS IS NOT X !!!  >:(
(ignorant person)
   Maybe instead of insulting someone and trying to show your superiority, you could take a deep breath and calmly teach and explain.

If guns are outlawed.........
 Only outlaws will have guns.

bonj

CZ 83 Magazine Differences
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2018, 05:28:28 AM »
This you tube review may be helpful...

Offline BeoBill

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 08:49:47 PM »
The "cz 82 Magazines." thread below also goes into the issues with aftermarket "cz mfg" magazines, and offers a possible fix.

Offline Ross7

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2018, 08:43:14 PM »
A few months ago I ordered an "Original Surplus" CZ 82/83 magazine and while it does appear to be an original, the base plate left much to be desired... it was extra surplussy. Finally got in a replacement base plate today.

Pictured next to the mag that came with my CZ 83...

Offline eastman

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2018, 12:39:18 PM »
A few months ago I ordered an "Original Surplus" CZ 82/83 magazine and while it does appear to be an original, the base plate left much to be desired... it was extra surplussy. Finally got in a replacement base plate today.

Pictured next to the mag that came with my CZ 83...

there was probably an interesting story to how someone managed to snap a baseplate.
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline dtomp

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2019, 09:31:49 PM »
Of the 4 I just received from Aim surplus, one had the base plate broke the same way. Oh well I say, the price was right. Where did you buy a base plate?

Offline Czechbikr

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2019, 10:23:10 AM »
The "cz 82 Magazines." thread below also goes into the issues with aftermarket "cz mfg" magazines, and offers a possible fix.

No link posted with this remark and I cannot find a thread which describes possible repairs or tweaks to the "CZ Mfg" magazine issues.  If someone could locate it and maybe even sticky it, it could be of benefit to those of us who are stuck with these.  I have two and squeezed the mag lips together slightly and they do feed better in my CZ 83, but not to the point that I would trust them anywhere else but at the range.

Offline BeoBill

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2019, 01:56:27 PM »

No link posted with this remark and I cannot find a thread which describes possible repairs or tweaks to the "CZ Mfg" magazine issues.  If someone could locate it and maybe even sticky it, it could be of benefit to those of us who are stuck with these.  I have two and squeezed the mag lips together slightly and they do feed better in my CZ 83, but not to the point that I would trust them anywhere else but at the range.

CZ Magazines thread: https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=97087.0
Specific fixes post: https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=97087.msg764255#msg764255

I tried everything proposed and lubed the daylights out of the mags; no joy at all other than learning mag disassembly.

My judgement: THEY ARE TRULY JUNK - only good for parts.

Offline dtomp

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2019, 02:13:10 PM »
I don't know that for fact, but enough people have told me on here that I'm apt to believe. If it doesn't have the crossed swords, don't buy. If it says CZ mfg, leave it alone. That kind of reminds me about how jewelry marked " solid gold " was anything but. Most of you probably are too young to know about " solid gold " markings. That's how they used to pass fakes, kind of like the CZ Mfg mags.

Offline eastman

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2019, 03:14:59 PM »
I don't know that for fact, but enough people have told me on here that I'm apt to believe. If it doesn't have the crossed swords, don't buy. If it says CZ mfg, leave it alone. That kind of reminds me about how jewelry marked " solid gold " was anything but. Most of you probably are too young to know about " solid gold " markings. That's how they used to pass fakes, kind of like the CZ Mfg mags.

Surplus Mags with the Crossed Swords - buy them

New production mags direct from CZ-USA - buy them if you can't find the ones above, since they are pricey but high quality

"CZ mfg" - avoid them, they are truly garbage (ok, that comparison is an insult to garbage)
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline Blaiwayw

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2019, 11:25:13 AM »
So, my experience with the mfg CZ mags is not that bad.  Yes, I prefer the real deal.  I bought 3, not knowing the differences.  The price was $20 each.  These have rough surfaces, but the finish is fine. I took them apart, cleaned and lubed.  Loading 12 rounds was no harder in these, than the originals.  All drop free, and all cycled without issue at the range.  The crossed sword mags can be had for the same price.  I just won a GB auction for 3 surplus mags for $62 delivered.  I ordered 3 CZ 82?s from J&G this month, and all came with the original type.  The CZ82.  What?s not to love.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk