Author Topic: Can't get P09 indent back in from grip strap.  (Read 5738 times)

Offline AVinLo

Re: Can't get P09 indent back in from grip strap.
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2019, 01:17:12 AM »
I make a fool of myself a minimum of once per quarter, and that's just on this forum. At home it happens so often my wife doesn't even point it out anymore.  8)

Lol...👍

Offline Kelsw

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2019, 01:28:13 AM »
I am confused by indent do you mean retaining pin ? By pushing down on the lanyard loop you release pressure on the retaining pin and push it out . To reassemble you have to line up the holes correctly and reinsert the "dog bone pin" ? I am missing something here ?

Offline AVinLo

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2019, 01:28:32 AM »
No ones perfect, we all make mistakes. It?s how you handle yourself afterwards that makes the difference.

Earls post about a screw in a block of wood is by far the cheapest and easiest way to do it. You can even put a chunk of black tape or duct tape over the screw head to keep from scratching the main spring plug.

The best advice I can give for working on anything at all.......
    If you find yourself getting frustrated..... walk away for a bit and try again once calmed down. Helps avoid breakage and scratches.

Very wise advice, sir and duly noted.....on the frustration. Didn't have the proper tools and needed put back together ASAP.....missed a day of fun at range, but there's always next week.

Ordered tools tonight. By trade, I install alarm systems, so don't have the type of tools I need. Still new to guns......4-5 months in....much to learn.

Offline AVinLo

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2019, 01:31:18 AM »
there are two styles of hammer spring plug - plain bottom or lanyard loop. The lanyard loop style is easier to push in to remove or install the pin. If that was the style featured in the video, but not attached to your pistol, then it will look a lot easier in the video than you will experience in real life.

I put the lanyard style steel plug on my metal frame CZ pistols (if they didn't already come with one).

I assume by name I have "hammer spring plug" which is probably why it was harder to reassemble. Its a stock P09.

Offline AVinLo

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2019, 01:42:31 AM »
I am confused by indent do you mean retaining pin ? By pushing down on the lanyard loop you release pressure on the retaining pin and push it out . To reassemble you have to line up the holes correctly and reinsert the "dog bone pin" ? I am missing something here ?

Its probably "retaining pin". I have no clue. I'm still learning guns. I read the term "indent" and assumed all the PINS holding guns together were called indents.

Again, Im learning this stuff and learning as I go. I have never touched a pistol before July 2018. Im sorry if I sound like a broken record as I keep repeating this.

You just lost me with....'dog bone pin' and 'lanyard loop'. Thinking back the pin that held the polymer piece that the hammer spring sat in that I pushed back up in the hole did resemble a dog bone because it was fat on both ends and slim in middle.....if that makes any sense. 😔

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2019, 07:50:35 AM »
One of the "tools" in my gun tool box is this piece of wood.  See the little screw sticking up out of the wood?  Makes it easy to set the main spring "cap" on and then push downwards to line up the holes in the frame and the slot in the cap so the pin can be pushed back in.

I've found the P07/P09 lanyard loop/caps are plastic and will deform when you put enough pressure on them.  I try not to do it very often.  No issue with the CZ75 types as they are metal/steel.

And, the more you work on it, the more you learn, the better you get at it, the easier it is and the happier you are with the work you do on them.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline AZ_CZ

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2019, 09:39:37 AM »
I replaced all the lanyard plugs with flush. My "trick" is using a new eraser head I pulled off a pencil. Set it on my work bench and push against it to relieve pressure while installing or removing the pin. Little bit of a balancing act but it doesn't mar the finish.
CZ Fanbot since 1996

Offline AVinLo

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2019, 07:51:39 PM »
One of the "tools" in my gun tool box is this piece of wood.  See the little screw sticking up out of the wood?  Makes it easy to set the main spring "cap" on and then push downwards to line up the holes in the frame and the slot in the cap so the pin can be pushed back in.

I've found the P07/P09 lanyard loop/caps are plastic and will deform when you put enough pressure on them.  I try not to do it very often.  No issue with the CZ75 types as they are metal/steel.

And, the more you work on it, the more you learn, the better you get at it, the easier it is and the happier you are with the work you do on them.

I actually tried a screw head I  drilled into work bench, but kept slipping off probably due to excess oil on bottom and was round head screw. I should have used a hex head(flat top). I also had the screw head to close to edge, but was in a hurry and was to lazy to clean bench......ugghh...stupidity on my part.

Here was the screw I had drilled in...

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2019, 08:08:54 PM »
Round head works fine, like you said, take some time with it. 

I actually have a round head screw screwed in between a couple 2X4's by my garage door, for a similar purpose.  Since it's parallel to the ground/floor it makes it easier to see/use when I'm standing there with the pistol in my hand looking downwards on it.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2019, 08:31:20 PM »
I did it for the first time AT the gun range with a small rock.  I don't remember it being particularly difficult. 

Offline Mercs

Can't get P09 indent back in from grip strap.
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2019, 11:30:14 PM »
The P-09 main spring plug seems to be under a huge amount of tension even with the lightest Cajun mainspring in there. It is a lot harder to get the pin in than any other CZ I?ve manhandled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DWARREN

• Old & Tired
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2019, 01:27:06 PM »
I have a little nub on my bench that fits the spring cap just right. I push it down on the nub with one hand and push the pin out with the other. Watch about the spring and cap coming out too far, the mag brake may interfere with reinsertion.
Do the reverse for replacing.
"1776" - Part II

Offline PX150

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2019, 02:16:06 PM »
I use a bulletin board push pin - the kind with the plastic head. You can stick it in a board, workbench, etc., and the round top is a perfect fit. A small piece of electrical tape on top of the push pin helps prevent slipping.

Offline gb6491

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2019, 03:48:18 PM »

Its probably "retaining pin". I have no clue. I'm still learning guns. I read the term "indent" and assumed all the PINS holding guns together were called indents.

Again, Im learning this stuff and learning as I go. I have never touched a pistol before July 2018. Im sorry if I sound like a broken record as I keep repeating this.

You just lost me with....'dog bone pin' and 'lanyard loop'. Thinking back the pin that held the polymer piece that the hammer spring sat in that I pushed back up in the hole did resemble a dog bone because it was fat on both ends and slim in middle.....if that makes any sense. 😔
That's it :)
As others have mentioned, I find the lanyard loop plug does make installation of the pin easier. I put one in my P-09:

Regards,
Greg

Offline DOC 1500

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2019, 04:11:34 PM »
I too at one point used a small round head screw to push the plug up in while putting the pin in. I just use the corner of my workbench now😎
JOHN 3:16
2 COR.5:17
A Lie is a Lie even if everybody believes it ,
The Truth is the Truth even if nobody believes it !!!

anything