Author Topic: Black Bullets International 115 gr. 9mm bullet  (Read 1227 times)

Offline Boogalou

Black Bullets International 115 gr. 9mm bullet
« on: June 05, 2019, 03:16:53 PM »
I purchased some 115 grain 9mm bullets from BBI a short while ago, and when I got ready to load some of them, I noticed that the bullet was stubby and shorter then other bullets I've been using.  So, decided to do the "plunk test" with them and found out I had to go down to a OAL of 1.07 before they would clear the barrel lands.  I tested them on every 9mm barrel (5) I have.  My question is, I'm not real comfortable with a OAL that should  be 1.055 to be on the safe side, or maybe I can just load them light and use them as target loads.  It was my fault by not looking more closely at the bullet pics before ordering them, or getting more info from BBI.   Any thoughts on what I should do with these things?

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
Re: Black Bullets International 115 gr. 9mm bullet
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 04:49:14 PM »
The minimum suggested OAL for 9mm is 1.000", so the number you quoted... while short... is not without merit. Berry Mfg 124gr flat points load at 1.065" and they shoot fine.

Some other thoughts...
? "The proof is in the pudding" as they say, so the thing to do is load up 40 or 50 and go shoot them. Generally, RN feed really well in a CZ. If there's no problem, then what have you got to worry about ?

? I picked the 0.015" number because with novice reloaders the OAL seems to vary quite a bit over 50 rounds. If you're experienced, got your process ironed out, and your OALs don't seem to wander, then you can cut that to 0.010" or even 0.008". The object is to simply get the slide to go all the way into battery and be able to shoot safely.

? But you're correct, a slender profile RN should easily be able to load at 1.125".

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 05:57:34 PM by Wobbly »
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline tdogg

• Two Alpha!
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 05:06:56 PM »
I had a similar situation where I had originally ordered a sample pack for function testing and they plunked at a more reasonable length (1.085).  Then it took me a while to order a bulk order and when I finally did, they changed their bullet mold to a shorter fatter ogive that push tested at a short length (1.045).  It's chronicled here:  https://czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=76639.msg551835#msg551835

I was able to load and run them at the short length of 1.035.  I didn't perform an exhaustive test at that OAL so I don't know if feeding was 100%.  I can say that at 1.075 OAL they ran at 100% in my SP-01.  The only way to know is to run them in your gun and see if the perform.  It's definitely getting close to the short end of the spectrum in 9mm.

What powder are you running?  I was also concerned about powder compression to make PF but I was running a fluffy somewhat fast powder.

Cheers,
Toby
This forum rocks!

Offline Boogalou

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 08:07:30 PM »
I've been reloading off and on for about 20 years and I just have never seen such a stubby 9mm bullet.  I will work up a load at 1.06 OAL and see how they do.  I was going to use sport pistol but also have Unique, Universal, and BE86 available.  Thanks for the info.

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2019, 04:30:28 PM »
I've been reloading off and on for about 20 years and I just have never seen such a stubby 9mm bullet.

Unfortunately, they are all the rage, trying to get more contact with the rifling or some such.

I was going to use sport pistol but also have Unique, Universal, and BE86 available. 

I'd stay with the original plan. Sport Pistol is a really good choice.
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

anything