Author Topic: Show off your refinished CZ-82  (Read 134582 times)

Offline Hayfield123

• Yeah, go ahead. Break into my house!
Re: Show off your refinished CZ-82
« Reply #105 on: May 04, 2012, 11:41:15 AM »
Thanks guys. The wood grips are from http://www.grips4u.net/  They were only $55, which I thought was a pretty good price.
I have the same grips on mine, and love them.  I ordered the metal inserts that CZ USA sells for their wood grips and put them in.  I also used a really small rubber o-ring to keep the screws from coming loose.
SMSgt, USAF (Ret)
Jan '67 - Aug '92
NRA Life Member
S&W No.1, 3rd; S&W .38 S/A 2nd; S&W D/A 4th; S&W HE of 1903; Nagant M1895; CZ 52; CZ 82; S&W Mod 15;  Kimber Tactical Ultra II; Taurus PT738; Walther P22; CZ P-06; S&W Mod 19;KAR.98A; Win M1894 38-55; Win M94; Sears Mod 34; H&R 16ga; Win Mod 24

Offline danwdooley

• Dooley's Treasure Chest
« Reply #106 on: May 09, 2012, 12:42:26 PM »
Here's mine finished.  I thought about going further to achieve a darker shade.  When I got to this point I actually liked the look of it so I decided to stop.  Depending on the light, it does have more of a black look but for the most part has a rather pleasing (to me) very dark charcoal gray color.  These pictures seem to have a little more blue tint than the actual gun.

I have a couple of minor details to finish up (sight white dots and red safety off indicator dots, etc.) but it's looking so much better than the old paint job.  Now it's going to have to have a pair of nice wood grips.   :)

Dan,

Yes, the CZ-82 is my favorite gun.  :-)

Offline ottergt

« Reply #107 on: May 09, 2012, 01:19:22 PM »
Dan,

Did you refinish the extractor, or is that how it came?

--Otter
Otter

2013 P-01 OD Green
1987 CZ85 2-Tone
Scorpion EVO3 S1
VZ61 Skorpion
1990 CZ82
1987 CZ82
VZ2008 rifles (folding stock versions)

Offline danwdooley

« Reply #108 on: May 09, 2012, 01:51:13 PM »
Dan,

Did you refinish the extractor, or is that how it came?

--Otter

I wanted the extractor as well as the visible part of the receiver polished.  The picture is not showing the polished state of the extractor well but I think it looks good in the contrasting color.
Dan,

Offline danwdooley

« Reply #109 on: May 09, 2012, 05:23:56 PM »
I've been too afraid to tear any of mine down. I've heard it can be very hard to put back together.

That is true.  Chances are there will be some mumbling, groaning, complaining and if you use such words, well..........    :)  There will be some mistakes made which don't require you to back up a step or two.  They require you to go back down to ground zero.  LOL.  Believe me.  I did that yesterday.  Some things have to go in FIRST.

But, the second time, it went pretty smooth so within a short time it was all back together again and working fine.
Dan,

Offline dwight

• dwightrahl.com
« Reply #110 on: May 09, 2012, 08:24:32 PM »
... some mistakes made which don't require you to back up a step or two.  They require you to go back down to ground zero.  LOL.  Believe me.  I did that yesterday.  Some things have to go in FIRST.
Correct - and I'll admit it; the last time I put a CZ-82 back together, I forgot to drop the hammer strut in before setting the hammer in place. I had gone all the way through to installing the sear spring and getting it in place under the auto safety before realizing that the hammer strut was still on the workbench in front of me!

Dwight
Raleigh, NC

Offline ottergt

« Reply #111 on: May 09, 2012, 08:31:59 PM »
I wanted the extractor as well as the visible part of the receiver polished.  The picture is not showing the polished state of the extractor well but I think it looks good in the contrasting color.

Looks good!  Was it originally "natural" or was it black before you polished?  (I'm trying to track design changes by model year...like I don't have a better use for my time  :o)

--Otter
Otter

2013 P-01 OD Green
1987 CZ85 2-Tone
Scorpion EVO3 S1
VZ61 Skorpion
1990 CZ82
1987 CZ82
VZ2008 rifles (folding stock versions)

Offline danwdooley

« Reply #112 on: May 09, 2012, 08:33:52 PM »
Dwight,

I'm not proud of it but I think I have you beat on that one.  LOL   Not only did I have the hammer, the sear, the auto-safety (yeah, with that pesky spring trick finally mastered) but I had installed the trigger, and trigger bar (another story of frustration) and I had actually put on the manual safety.  I thought I was home free and then I tried to put in the hammer strut.  Uh huh.

No, ya can't leave the trigger and trigger bar in place in order to pull the hammer out.  You've got to take it ALL out.   :o
Dan,

Offline danwdooley

« Reply #113 on: May 09, 2012, 08:37:26 PM »

Looks good!  Was it originally "natural" or was it black before you polished?  (I'm trying to track design changes by model year...like I don't have a better use for my time  :o)

--Otter

Thanks Otter,

The extractor was I guess what you've called "natural"  Not painted and not black.  Sort of that dullish finish which is base unblued metal which as that faint patina (I guess that's what we can call it) but underneath is just bare metal.  Mine is 1988.
Dan,

Offline danwdooley

« Reply #114 on: May 09, 2012, 08:45:38 PM »
I will have to look at the various shots I made to see if one of them shows the extractor and receiver from a slightly different angle.  The image I posted shows something reflected on the surface of the extractor hiding the fact that it really is brightly polished.  It just looks a little dull in the photo.
Dan,

Offline dwight

• dwightrahl.com
« Reply #115 on: May 11, 2012, 04:55:54 PM »
Dwight,

I'm not proud of it but I think I have you beat on that one.  LOL   Not only did I have the hammer, the sear, the auto-safety (yeah, with that pesky spring trick finally mastered) but I had installed the trigger, and trigger bar (another story of frustration) and I had actually put on the manual safety.  I thought I was home free and then I tried to put in the hammer strut.  Uh huh.

No, ya can't leave the trigger and trigger bar in place in order to pull the hammer out.  You've got to take it ALL out.   :o
I like to think of it as an unplanned training session! ;D Just think how lucky we were to have gotten an opportunity to practice CZ-82 reassembly!

Dwight
Raleigh, NC

Offline danwdooley

« Reply #116 on: May 12, 2012, 12:53:15 PM »
Here's a "tool" I made to handle the task of holding onto and positioning that pesky sear spring.  Used the Dremel to put a notch in the end of the blade of a small jewelers screwdriver.  Worked like a charm.   :)

Dan,

Offline danwdooley

« Reply #117 on: May 12, 2012, 12:59:57 PM »
A little dab of white model paint added to the sights.  A friend of mine suggested I might want to use florescent green or some similar color to create night sights.  Well that might be something to do in the future.  I used paint I had on hand and the sights are visible enough in low light.  Besides (just my thoughts) in an emergency self defense situation, I don't think I'm going to be doing the two hand hold like I'm facing a bulls-eye target at the range. 

Dan,

Offline Simper

• I love my VZ58
« Reply #118 on: May 12, 2012, 02:40:36 PM »
It sure looks nice. I can't wait to get one.
"I changed my car horn to gun shot sounds . . .

People move out of the way much faster now."

Offline danwdooley

« Reply #119 on: May 12, 2012, 02:52:02 PM »
I believe that you will really enjoy it.  I've now got the urge to do another refinishing job.  I've really been wanting to talk my wife into taking up the gun interest.  Not particularly as a hobby but for the value of knowing how to handle a firearm safely and to use in an emergency and even to get her own CHL.  She's resistant.  Oh well.  If I could get her convinced to let me buy another CZ82 just for her and redo it for her.  Nice wood grips and all.  I keep trying, LOL

I've not had the chance to take mine to the range since I finished the bluing job.  I did dry fire it a couple of times.  Ouch, I hate to do that but just needed to do a quick check to see if it was ok.  It did fine both in DA and SA.   Today I racked a whole mag full of rounds through it and it fed and ejected every round with no problems so so far it looks good.
Dan,