Author Topic: Smoothing the Action  (Read 424972 times)

Offline LookingIntently

• Looking Intently
Re: Smoothing the Action
« Reply #105 on: February 14, 2019, 10:54:21 AM »
Thanks for the WalMart 'heads up.' ... One thing - looking on Amazon, I saw that the higher grit papers were not aluminum oxide (as Dave said he uses). Is that a big deal?
Looking Intently
Read the Good Book like a good book
https://www.youtube.com/c/lookingintently

Offline ZanderMan

« Reply #106 on: February 14, 2019, 05:13:40 PM »
It's really simple, here it is.  It works well on the rear of the trigger bar that contacts the sear trigger pad and the FPB lifter pad.  The top pic is how it looks ready to use, the bottom is how it looks when purchased new.

Does anyone know what number bit this is? I've looked on dremel's site at all the pictures and don't see one like this?

Thanks!
Not a bit, it?s a mandrel for mounting cut-off discs.
Used to own a CZ Jawa...

Offline LookingIntently

• Looking Intently
« Reply #107 on: February 14, 2019, 08:39:11 PM »
Thanks!

FYI... The part is the: 402 Rotary Tool Mandrel. The official Dremel one is expensive (~$10). There 10-12 piece knock off sets on Amazon for less than $10. For this application, they should work fine.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 09:27:31 AM by LookingIntently »
Looking Intently
Read the Good Book like a good book
https://www.youtube.com/c/lookingintently

Offline Eargesplitten

« Reply #108 on: February 16, 2019, 08:08:19 PM »
Sorry if someone has asked this before and I missed it, am I right in thinking the polishing stuff is either the red or white polishing bar stuff I see in the hardware store? I've heard the white stuff mentioned before as the thing to use on steel, I just want to make sure. I'm about to pick up a punch set so I can finally get my surplus 85 apart and give it a thorough cleaning, I might as well pick up some polishing tools. I've already got up to 1200 grit sandpaper so I'm set there.

Second question: I can't find any tiny buffing wheels, do you buff the whole thing in one go or should I use a q-tip or something in my variable-speed electric screwdriver with the polishing compound for the smaller parts?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 06:41:18 PM by Eargesplitten »

Offline Arko

« Reply #109 on: November 02, 2019, 11:55:29 AM »
Is this moly grease just Aeroshell 33MS mil-spec moly?

Offline CZFanGrrl

• Shoot-Reload-Repeat
    • Youtube
« Reply #110 on: November 19, 2019, 01:25:46 PM »
Hey everyone

I just recently did a trigger job on one of my optic ready Shadow 2’s.  It went really well.  I’m a metalsmith so have no shortage of awesome jeweller’s tools for polishing and fitting.  Jewelry components need to be tightly fitted in order to weld them together, so appropriate tools are important.  I used a jewelers saw to polish areas that are hard to reach.  Instructions are in my video playlist.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHWtFdijvRr_qwi7Q4_PjU8GQHpdVPcVn

Link to the polishing papers I used on Amazon.ca, pretty sure they’re on Amazon.com as well.  By the time you get to the pink polishing paper the metal is already Reling velvety smooth, polishing to the light mint colour takes to a glass finish.  Zona 37-948 3M Wet/Dry Polishing Paper, 8-1/2-Inch X 11-Inch, Assortment Pack One Each 1, 2, 3, 9, 15, and 30 Micron https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B001BHGC7G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_zYg1DbEMWG34F

I reduced the D/A trigger pull weight on my Shadow 2 by over 50% with polishing and springs and S/A by 25%.  Very smooth.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 05:31:00 PM by CZFanGrrl »
CZ Shadow 2 Optics Ready with Trijicon SRO 5
CZ Shadow 2 Optics Ready with Leopold DPP 7.5
CZ P-09 with Vortex Venom 6
CZ P-10F (no optic ready.....yet) but I did buy it a Kidon! So now it wears a Vortex Spitfire 3MOA and a Vortex Venom 6MOA at the same time!

Offline recoilguy

« Reply #111 on: November 19, 2019, 03:29:02 PM »
awesome
RCG
Its easy being a communist in a free country
What's hard is to be free in a communist country

Offline bversteegh

« Reply #112 on: December 31, 2019, 03:49:19 PM »
Just starting to work on my Tristar P120 SP01 Clone.  I have a CGW Shadow as my primary competition gun - want to tune up the P120 as a backup.

Offline Steve Menegon

« Reply #113 on: January 01, 2020, 03:39:33 PM »
A couple additional areas I clean up are both the trigger well and hammer well on the frame. I noticed light scratch marks on the hammer and trigger sides. A pointed half-round jewelers file with 1500 grit on the file, being sure to stay flat against the frame. I also lightly beveled the edges to further reduce sharp edges. Coupled with all the aforementioned methods, leaves action darn near perfect and no scratches in my CGW hammers.

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #114 on: January 04, 2020, 12:43:00 PM »
A couple additional areas I clean up are both the trigger well and hammer well on the frame. I noticed light scratch marks on the hammer and trigger sides. A pointed half-round jewelers file with 1500 grit on the file, being sure to stay flat against the frame. I also lightly beveled the edges to further reduce sharp edges. Coupled with all the aforementioned methods, leaves action darn near perfect and no scratches in my CGW hammers.

I do this as well, especially the faces of the hammer well. I’m sure you, Steve, know this - but just to make sure others know... if you polish the faces of the hammer well be very very careful not to remove material where the holes for the hammer pin pass through. You can polish, but if you remove material it introduces side to side slop in the hammer.

I’ve even tested removing enough material so paper would slide into the gap between the hammer and sides of the frame, BUT you must make sure NOT to remove material around those holes for the hammer pin. I’ve gotten some super slick triggers from doing this, but be careful.
"In God I trust. All others must supply data."

Offline Steve Menegon

« Reply #115 on: January 04, 2020, 07:15:31 PM »
I do this as well, especially the faces of the hammer well. I’m sure you, Steve, know this - but just to make sure others know... if you polish the faces of the hammer well be very very careful not to remove material where the holes for the hammer pin pass through. You can polish, but if you remove material it introduces side to side slop in the hammer.

I’ve even tested removing enough material so paper would slide into the gap between the hammer and sides of the frame, BUT you must make sure NOT to remove material around those holes for the hammer pin. I’ve gotten some super slick triggers from doing this, but be careful.

Excellent point. I have polished hammer sides, but I did not change hammer width dimension. The hammer must fall where designed to fall. My SP01 and 97 had tighter tolerances than my P01 to begin with. I used a good digital caliper to check dimensions.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 01:31:49 PM by jwc007, Reason: HTML Quote Correction »

Offline TrackRat951

« Reply #116 on: February 01, 2020, 03:08:49 PM »
Hey everyone

I just recently did a trigger job on one of my optic ready Shadow 2’s.  It went really well.  I’m a metalsmith so have no shortage of awesome jeweller’s tools for polishing and fitting.  Jewelry components need to be tightly fitted in order to weld them together, so appropriate tools are important.  I used a jewelers saw to polish areas that are hard to reach.  Instructions are in my video playlist.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHWtFdijvRr_qwi7Q4_PjU8GQHpdVPcVn

Link to the polishing papers I used on Amazon.ca, pretty sure they’re on Amazon.com as well.  By the time you get to the pink polishing paper the metal is already Reling velvety smooth, polishing to the light mint colour takes to a glass finish.  Zona 37-948 3M Wet/Dry Polishing Paper, 8-1/2-Inch X 11-Inch, Assortment Pack One Each 1, 2, 3, 9, 15, and 30 Micron https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B001BHGC7G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_zYg1DbEMWG34F

I reduced the D/A trigger pull weight on my Shadow 2 by over 50% with polishing and springs and S/A by 25%.  Very smooth.

Enjoyed the videos, and I'm looking forward to trying out your techniques on my new Shadow 2. Hoping the wife doesn't mind if I borrow her jeweler's saw. ;)

Offline unclerandy

« Reply #117 on: February 10, 2020, 11:32:51 PM »
Great content and very helpful! McMaster has a lot of polishing bits. A lot of them even come impregnated with compound of differing grits. Scroll down this page a little and click on “Polishing Bobs”.

https://www.mcmaster.com/buffing-wheels

Offline unclerandy

« Reply #118 on: February 13, 2020, 09:56:41 PM »
Great content and very helpful! McMaster has a lot of polishing bits. A lot of them even come impregnated with compound of differing grits. Scroll down this page a little and click on “Polishing Bobs”.

So I bought some of the Polishing Bobs from McMaster. I did this on my P01. I bought these grits 600, 800, 1200 in both 1/4 and 1/2 inch sizes. They are 1/8 shank and I used my Dremel. It was super easy and convenient. I hope this is helpful for those that view this thread.

Offline SEAKPhotog

« Reply #119 on: February 28, 2020, 10:26:57 PM »
Wow, that looks super useful. Thanks. Just about to sit down and work on my new CZ97. Maybe I'll wait a bit and order these guys.

So I bought some of the Polishing Bobs from McMaster. I did this on my P01. I bought these grits 600, 800, 1200 in both 1/4 and 1/2 inch sizes. They are 1/8 shank and I used my Dremel. It was super easy and convenient. I hope this is helpful for those that view this thread.