Author Topic: CZ-75 Red Dot and Co-Witness for under $325  (Read 85939 times)

Offline EZ128

Re: CZ-75 Red Dot and Co-Witness for under $325
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2019, 09:53:45 PM »
Hi Vinny:

Your thread was my starting point in search of a RDS on my CZs. I have a Shadow 2 OR with precut now for matches. I also have an SP01 Shadow with a rear sight dovetail mounted plate with a Vortex Venom on it. The Shadow 2 OR comes with a co witness FO. I have been trying to find a suitable front sight for my Shadow with its plate set up. Note the plate is about sits about 2mm higer than your. I figure even the Dawson Precision .370 inch black sight( tallest I can found) may be about 2-3 mm too short. Any advice?

Thanx!

Offline Vinny

« Reply #46 on: December 25, 2019, 02:27:45 PM »
Hi Vinny:

Your thread was my starting point in search of a RDS on my CZs. I have a Shadow 2 OR with precut now for matches. I also have an SP01 Shadow with a rear sight dovetail mounted plate with a Vortex Venom on it. The Shadow 2 OR comes with a co witness FO. I have been trying to find a suitable front sight for my Shadow with its plate set up. Note the plate is about sits about 2mm higer than your. I figure even the Dawson Precision .370 inch black sight( tallest I can found) may be about 2-3 mm too short. Any advice?

Thanx!
Thanks EZ, I'm All-in on Red Dots as they've really helped my 'ol eyes stay in the game.
So I've tried to share my journey, good and in a few cases not so good. (like a Shield RMS on my 1st P-01 - just too flimsy an optic).
I'm so used to presenting my pistols now with both eyes focused on the target, the dot just appears and I NEVER look at the BUIS. However, for a SD pistol I still like 'em there.
You can use Dawson's on-line sight height calculator to determine the additional front height you need by entering the average distance between your existing POA vs actual POI at a specific distance (I use 10yds for SD). Obviously, with a dovetail mount it'll be pretty tall.
Good Luck in your journey.  Please keep us posted.  -Vinny
"Fear is a reaction, Courage is a decision"
"Carpe Diem"

Offline fhunziker

« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2019, 03:54:29 PM »
Are you still recommending the Jpoint RDS or now the DPPro for non-milled solution? Seems if a person is spending that much they might as well spring for an RMR. 

Also, how do you choose which MOA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Vinny

« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2019, 05:03:00 PM »
Are you still recommending the Jpoint RDS or now the DPPro for non-milled solution? Seems if a person is spending that much they might as well spring for an RMR. 

Also, how do you choose which MOA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fair question. This thread is several years old; and like all things electronic, the playing field can change quickly. The thread initially was an exercise in trying to add a low-mount red dot w/o milling and BUIS at low cost. It did the job OK, but I really can't recommend J-Points now. They're rather flimsy and the plastic lens requires extreme care to clean w/o scratching. Ditto for Shield products, maker of J-Points. The JPoint sits atop my tactical shotgun now, so it wasn't $ wasted.

I ended up liking red dots, and milling my pistols for DPPro and Vortex Venoms with two exceptions: my RAMI BD where the small RMR window is actually more fitting for the size of the pistol and my SIG 229 RX which came with Sig Romeo 1 (now over 8k rounds w/o failure). You can't argue the ruggedness of RMR's but until the SRO Trijicon was losing market share in competition due to small window. If you go with an RMR it will certainly serve you well, but there are other good choices for less $. Some really like the Holosun 507c but I haven't tried one yet.

For competitive shooting and full-size pistol, I prefer a large optic like DPPro, and dot size like 6moa. Longer range like bull's eye, a smaller dot, 3moa or less.

But it really comes down to how you want to use it and what features are important.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 05:34:36 PM by Vinny »
"Carpe Diem"

Offline boss281

« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2019, 05:50:03 PM »
My SP-01 slide is getting milled for a HS 507c as we speak. The intent is for competition.
Scorpion Evo S1 Carbine and Pistol, 75BD, SP-01 Tactical CGW Pro Kit, P-01 CGW Defensive Carry Kit, P-07, P-09

Offline Vinny

« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2020, 08:27:03 AM »
My SP-01 slide is getting milled for a HS 507c as we speak. The intent is for competition.
Seems like a good choice for competition or SD. A recent podcast interviewing top RDS experts rated the 507c very highly.  Please let us know how it works out, with images if you can.  Thx  -Vinny
"Carpe Diem"

Offline boss281

« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2020, 08:29:36 AM »
Seems like a good choice for competition or SD. A recent podcast interviewing top RDS experts rated the 507c very highly.  Please let us know how it works out, with images if you can.  Thx  -Vinny
No problem...
Scorpion Evo S1 Carbine and Pistol, 75BD, SP-01 Tactical CGW Pro Kit, P-01 CGW Defensive Carry Kit, P-07, P-09

Offline rckendall

« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2020, 12:04:57 PM »
Thank you Vinny for this thread and keeping it alive. I am interested for sure but my glasses are still keeping me in the game with iron sights. I'm now thinking about getting my feet wet on a Scorpion which I will have in a couple days.

Thanks again to all who have contributed to this.

Richard

Offline boss281

« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2020, 04:37:50 PM »
SP-01 Tactical milled for RMR/Holosun 507c. Will take it to range Sunday!

Offline Vinny

« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2020, 06:03:45 PM »
Boss,
Looks like a nice clean mount that fits the CZ-75 slide perfectly! Who did the milling and mount?
"Carpe Diem"

Offline boss281

« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2020, 06:11:20 PM »
Boss,
Looks like a nice clean mount that fits the CZ-75 slide perfectly! Who did the milling and mount?
Primary Machine. It looks flawless.
John

Offline boss281

« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2020, 03:06:20 PM »
Boss,
John
After sighting in the red dot, my first attempt at 10 yards, 1second between shots. Threw in a few quick double action decocked attempts. I am sold!

Offline pcar157

« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2020, 11:51:43 AM »
Boss,
John

boss, what mounting plate did you use for the Holosun and where did you purchase it?
thanks

Offline pcar157

« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2020, 11:55:51 AM »
Vinny I think Shields now makes the RMS and the RMSc with a glass lens. Think Brownell's is one of their distributors.  In the past I had used the RMSc on a Walther PPQ and found the plastic lens very difficult to keep clean and not scratch. But I did love the low profile. Now with the glass lens option, might be a new game in town!!

I want to correct my statement. Seems as though Shields now makes a RMS "W" meaning waterproof and that is the optic with the glass lens. Didn't mean to mislead anyone!!!!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 02:49:09 PM by pcar157 »

Offline boss281

« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2020, 12:01:23 PM »
Boss,
John

boss, what mounting plate did you use for the Holosun and where did you purchase it?
thanks

PCAR, I used the Primary Machine mount option, which works for both Holosun 507/508 and Trij RMR.  For my full size SP-01 Tactical mill work, this link was the proper selection on Primary Machine's site. I think for the 75 compacts there is a separate link that doesn't offer an adapter as an option. http://primarymachine.com/cz-75-85-1911-2011-mill-for-rmr/

anything