Author Topic: Recoil Buffers and Competition  (Read 13027 times)

Online timmy75

Re: Recoil Buffers and Competition
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2019, 01:48:51 AM »
what is the difference between thick and thin buffers?

Offline tdogg

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2019, 01:47:35 AM »
The thick buffers are about 1/8 inch.  The thin buffers are less maybe 3/32 inch?

I haven't tried the black plastic buffers.  The clear vinyl ones that come with the gun are what I've been using.

Cheers,
Toby

Online timmy75

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2019, 03:42:07 AM »
ok thanks.
is there any difference in felt recoil, extraction etc?

Offline Walt Sherrill

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2019, 09:31:46 AM »
One acquaintance, a fellow named Larry Brown, is a very accomplished shooter -- his credentials include:
  • Tier 1 trainer @ Ft. Bragg working with Special Ops troops
  • FBI HRT shooting instructor
  • instructor/contractor at Blackwater
  • IPSC Grand Master
  • Olympic team shooter
  • Firearms OEM R&D engineer
  • Ttrainer to Chris Tilley (World Class Shooter), who speaks highly of his skills as a shooter
Larry sometimes used buffers, but it had nothing to do with reducing felt recoil.  He spoke of using buffers in some guns and situations, paired with a lightened (maybe shortened) recoil spring/assembly, to increase slide cycling speed.

When you shoot with his skill level -- I've shot in a couple of IDPA matches with him and he did his first IDPA Qualifier with our IDPA club  -- that extra slide speed added to the rest of what he brings to a match (intelligence, reflexes and exceptional physical skills) seems to help and certainly doesn't hurt.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 05:42:22 PM by Walt Sherrill »

Offline 2morechains

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2019, 08:52:51 PM »
ok thanks.
is there any difference in felt recoil, extraction etc?

I ran a series of comparison bill drills with and without buffer installed.  Everything else was the same (ammo, recoil spring, etc). 

To be honest, I found no discernible difference if the buffer was installed or not with regards to felt recoil, accuracy, extraction, etc.  If there was any advantage without I would have removed the buffer.  But after 7K-ish rnds on the original buffer the thing looks brand new.  I’m keeping it in there to see how long it will last purely out of curiosity since it doesn’t affect function.   

This is the first gun I’ve run a buffer in.  All my other guns I never had a good experience with buffers -they either disintegrate after 500 rnds or they affect the function of the slide release.

Offline pcar157

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2019, 02:14:34 PM »
Where can the clear (think they are silicone) shock buffers be purchased?

Offline George16

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2019, 03:46:45 PM »
Where can the clear (think they are silicone) shock buffers be purchased?

Check out CZ-USA.

Offline dbarn

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2020, 11:58:47 AM »
Found some recent buffs from CZ  that are black vs. clear. Someone posted that they have recently purchased a Shadow 2 and it actually came with both.

Anyone know the difference between the two? Either longevity or different recoil impulse? Also seeing the black does not come with the extra lip that the thick clear ones have.

Offline tdogg

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2020, 05:29:49 PM »
I just ordered some black buffers from CZ USA among other items.  I can post up pictures when they arrive.

Cheers,
Toby

Offline tdogg

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2020, 04:27:30 PM »
Recieved the buffers.   They are still rubber but they are a higher durometer than the clear vinyl buffers. They should last longer.   I haven't shot the gun yet to see if any percieved recoil/impulse difference.

They have a ring on only one side of the ID guide rod hole that may be a different material.   It's hard to tell but it may be slightly harder than the outside material.

Cheers
Toby

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline tdogg

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2020, 06:53:06 PM »
I stand corrected.   I ran the black buffer at  my or local match today.  I don't think it will last.   It is already showing signs of wear after one match.   I'd stick with the vinyl buffers.

Cheers,
Toby

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk