Author Topic: Trusty 512 knocked another big Wild Boar down  (Read 1827 times)

Offline Rock-it3

Re: Trusty 512 knocked another big Wild Boar down
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2021, 04:21:06 PM »
I thought about writing the following lines for a long time, but have now come to the conclusion to do it. 

"Other countries, other manners ..."

1) In Europe it is forbidden to hunt wild boars with . 22magnum or . 22lr. 

2) Every European hunter, I repeat it, everyone would turn away with horror from a hunt in which a boar was shot with numerous caliber . 22 rounds.   >:(

People may criticize me for these lines now, but as a European hunter who has been hunting for 45 years and has shot more than 200 wild boars, I had to write that here now.

GMork, I appreciate your thoughts on this. I thought the same when I read it, not from a European perspective, but from an ethics perspective. True, wild pigs are pests that destroy crops and do other damage, but they are still animals, and we are humans. Ethically, human hunters have a responsibility to be skilled enough to kill prey with one well-placed shot. Very often does not happen, but it should be the goal. Part of the requirement then would using a weapon capable of killing the animal quickly, and as painlessly as possible. I don't see a .22 being consistently capable of that, especially if firing at a running animal and not likely to hit a vital area.

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2021, 05:20:15 PM »
I thought about writing the following lines for a long time, but have now come to the conclusion to do it. 

2) Every European hunter, I repeat it, everyone would turn away with horror from a hunt in which a boar was shot with numerous caliber . 22 rounds.   >:(

People may criticize me for these lines now, but as a European hunter who has been hunting for 45 years and has shot more than 200 wild boars, I had to write that here now.
Most hunters I know, myself included, wouldn't take a shot or utilize a caliber that has no chance of killing an animal on that first shot. My father didn't teach me this way, and I haven't taught my daughter anything but respect for prey and the ethics that come with hunting.
Bragging about hog killing with repeated shots from a .22lr or .22 mag makes me cringe as much as any european, superior though they may be.

Offline GMork

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2021, 05:34:18 PM »

GMork, I appreciate your thoughts on this. I thought the same when I read it, not from a European perspective, but from an ethics perspective. True, wild pigs are pests that destroy crops and do other damage, but they are still animals, and we are humans. Ethically, human hunters have a responsibility to be skilled enough to kill prey with one well-placed shot. Very often does not happen, but it should be the goal. Part of the requirement then would using a weapon capable of killing the animal quickly, and as painlessly as possible. I don't see a .22 being consistently capable of that, especially if firing at a running animal and not likely to hit a vital area.
Most hunters I know, myself included, wouldn't take a shot or utilize a caliber that has no chance of killing an animal on that first shot. My father didn't teach me this way, and I haven't taught my daughter anything but respect for prey and the ethics that come with hunting.
Bragging about hog killing with repeated shots from a .22lr or .22 mag makes me cringe as much as any european, superior though they may be.
Many thanks for your responses.  You both are now adding the thoughts on hunting ethics that I also had in mind.
And if you look at it from the standpoint of the need to reduce excessive wild boar populations everywhere, a strong caliber is also much better, especially when I'm hunting a whole pack of wild boars.  If the wild boar that was shot at first falls over with the first shot, I have the chance to shoot a second and maybe even a third.  That never works with a weak caliber, because I may need subsequent shots for the first wild boar.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 08:45:40 AM by GMork »
CZ P07
Walther P5 compact

There's no bad weather, there's only bad clothing.

Offline crosstimbers

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2021, 09:25:38 AM »

Not for nothing but many of us view taking a shot at a running animal as unethical.

Maybe in the case of survival, or self defense, but otherwise it is usually considered proper to wait until an animal presents a good shot. Stationary or perhaps walking slowly.

But my overall point is, opinions vary, and nobody really has claim to the moral high ground except in certain clear-cut cases. Some view hunting deer over bait (a feeder) as unethical. Some feel that hunting itself is wrong (I certainly disagree).

I am an ethical hunter, always have been now for well over 40 years. I dont see anything wrong with my suggested use of small caliber rifles against young piglets. With that I think I'll stand down from the rest of this one.

Offline GMork

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2021, 09:46:50 AM »

Not for nothing but many of us view taking a shot at a running animal as unethical.

In Europe we have had a long tradition of driven hunts for red deer, wild boar and roe deer.
If you regularly practice shooting at such running game at the appropriate shooting ranges, there are no ethical objections to such hunts in Europe.
But as I said, you have to practice it.
Incidentally, in Europian countries driven hunts have been shown to be the best type of hunting to reduce excessive wild boar populations.
P.S. In the meantime, in every German federal state, you have to prove with an annual test that you are capable of hitting running game well .
Otherwise you are not allowed to participate in driven hunts of the state forests.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 10:55:03 AM by GMork »
CZ P07
Walther P5 compact

There's no bad weather, there's only bad clothing.

anything