Author Topic: Manual Decocking question for manual safety CZ 75  (Read 14031 times)

Offline Metal Wonder Nine Guy

Manual Decocking question for manual safety CZ 75
« on: December 30, 2018, 05:38:09 PM »
For those of you who like putting the hammer down on your manual safety 75s, do you ease the hammer all the way down or do you let the hammer stop at the half cock notch? Or is it even possible to let the hammer rest in the half cock notch on the manual safety  models? Thanks!

Offline briang2ad

Re: Manual Decocking question for manual safety CZ 75
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 06:18:54 PM »
The best method is to BLOCK the rear of the slide and FR with your off hand thumb.  Put the pistol in a safe position.  Now, press the trigger and immediately let off the trigger - once your finger is off the trigger it is impossible to have the gun discharge if you have a FP Block.  Now, the hammer will set to half cock - and you roll your thumb out of the way and you are ready to holster.  I fire on DA at the range hundreds of times like this to practice DA then SA, or DA only. 

"Pinching the hammer" as MANY touted reviewers show is harder and not as safe.  When you BLOCK the slide with the thumb, it is impossible to drop the hammer on the FP and discharge the pistol.

BTW, halfcock is easier to shoot from and aids in accuracy because it shortens travel.  No reason to lower all the way.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 06:33:19 PM by briang2ad »

Offline larryflew

• Minnesota
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 09:24:16 PM »
Similar method is pinching between thumb and middle finger with index finger between hammer and FP.
When did it change from "We the people" to "screw the people"?

, []]]]]]]]]]]\>
        )'_\   (
'            \ *\
'              \ _\

Larry

Minnesota shooter
and CZ fanatic
NRA life since the 70's
USAF 66-70

Why use 911 when it's faster to use 1911 or 9mm?

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 09:42:27 PM »
The best method is to BLOCK the rear of the slide and FR with your off hand thumb.  Put the pistol in a safe position.  Now, press the trigger and immediately let off the trigger - once your finger is off the trigger it is impossible to have the gun discharge if you have a FP Block.  Now, the hammer will set to half cock - and you roll your thumb out of the way and you are ready to holster.  I fire on DA at the range hundreds of times like this to practice DA then SA, or DA only. 

"Pinching the hammer" as MANY touted reviewers show is harder and not as safe.  When you BLOCK the slide with the thumb, it is impossible to drop the hammer on the FP and discharge the pistol.

BTW, halfcock is easier to shoot from and aids in accuracy because it shortens travel.  No reason to lower all the way.

I almost completely agree.

Since I sometimes pocket holster carry my Ra mi, I do lower the hammer all the way down so less likely for the hammer to snag on the draw.  By doing so, however, one must keep the booger finger on the trigger longer, therefore the firing pin block is not therefor backup safety during this full decock.  Once fully decocked it is safe and the firing pin block is active.  This is contrary to the original M1911 and M1911A1 where cocked and locked is the only real safe method for chambered carry.

Offline briang2ad

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2018, 11:25:09 PM »
I carry Guns with FPBs.  I am willing to carry a preB hammer on half cock.  For some that is heresy I know.  Hammer fully down is really no safer other than a longer pull.  In a pocket it may prove less of a snag though.

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2018, 12:12:40 PM »

That and the trigger is closer to your finger in half cock mode rather than having the trigger go all the way forward for a full DA trigger pull. Having medium sized/ average hands, that's definitely a plus for me.

Pinching the hammer has always seemed like a good way to lose your grip on the hammer when you don't want to. There doesn't seem to be a lot of area on a CZ ring hammer to grab onto as compared to a spur hammer or something like a 92FS hammer or Sig P226 hammer.

Offline briang2ad

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 05:49:52 PM »
Pinching the hammer has always seemed like a good way to lose your grip on the hammer when you don't want to. There doesn't seem to be a lot of area on a CZ ring hammer to grab onto as compared to a spur hammer or something like a 92FS hammer or Sig P226 hammer.
Excellent points sir.

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2019, 09:26:51 AM »
One other question- the safety cannot be put on if the hammer is at half cock, right?

Offline briang2ad

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2019, 09:55:44 AM »
No, not on a CZ.  I think this works on a Tanfoglio or Canik though.  Other than keeping it that way on a night stand I wouldn?t use it that way.

Offline larryflew

• Minnesota
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2019, 01:54:39 PM »
Canik 55 is like CZ, no safety can be on other than cocked and locked.

, []]]]]]]]]]]\>
        )'_\   (
'            \ *\
'              \ _\

Larry

Minnesota shooter
and CZ fanatic
NRA life since the 70's
USAF 66-70

Offline CrazyDave

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2019, 02:02:46 PM »
One other question- the safety cannot be put on if the hammer is at half cock, right?

I am no expert, but my new 75 compact, safety model will go into safety at what I would call quarter cocked, first notch off hammer down.   Most of the drag of a D/A trigger still, but yet a safety.   I hope this helps.

Offline briang2ad

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2019, 08:29:38 PM »
Caniks are LIKE a CZ but have a different fire control group.  I Canik manual safety can be put ON in the hammer down, decocked, and fully cocked position. 

Also, NO CZ manual safety can be engaged with the hammer in the half cock or hammer down position.  If it does, you need to call CZ USA and talk to them - your gun is broke.

The SAFEtY FEATURE we are talking about is the length of DA pull and weight of the trigger pull from either a fully or partially decocked position. Hammer that is at half/quarter cock is STILL in DA mode and is harder to inadvertently engage to fire the weapon. 

Offline larryflew

• Minnesota
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2019, 12:08:25 AM »
Caniks are LIKE a CZ but have a different fire control group.  I Canik manual safety can be put ON in the hammer down, decocked, and fully cocked position. 

My 55 is just like my 75B's in that the safety will only work when fully cocked. Not sure if anything changed as this is one of the first Canik imports from the couple months that Canik USA was in business.

, []]]]]]]]]]]\>
        )'_\   (
'            \ *\
'              \ _\

Larry

Minnesota shooter
and CZ fanatic
NRA life since the 70's
USAF 66-70

Offline CrazyDave

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2019, 02:40:43 AM »

Also, NO CZ manual safety can be engaged with the hammer in the half cock or hammer down position.  If it does, you need to call CZ USA and talk to them - your gun is broke.

The SAFEtY FEATURE we are talking about is the length of DA pull and weight of the trigger pull from either a fully or partially decocked position. Hammer that is at half/quarter cock is STILL in DA mode and is harder to inadvertently engage to fire the weapon.
I have a perfectly fine CZ 75 compact that the safety works at 1/4 cock, it is a foot from me.  Are you suggesting there is something wrong with it? I am new to CZ and only have a decocker model and this.  Sorry for my ignorance.

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2019, 09:18:44 AM »

I have a perfectly fine CZ 75 compact that the safety works at 1/4 cock, it is a foot from me.  Are you suggesting there is something wrong with it? I am new to CZ and only have a decocker model and this.  Sorry for my ignorance.

YES -- UNLESS you have had the hammer replaced with something like the CGW Race Hammer or Competition Hammer.  Even still one should NOT engage the safety unless the hammer is fully cocked.

This feature from most stock CZ duty/SD guns is so when carrying in DA first shot, the gun will go bang as expected by merely yanking the trigger -- no safety to disengage.  As others hame mentioned, Caniks and others are designed out of the gate with the ability to engage the hammer regardless of SA or DA (not my preference for a SD gun carried with hammer down or at partial cock).

So, has your piece been worked on?

anything